Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS "RuSTI"
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, the code alarm system on my 1999 has basically been junk since I bought it, it randomly goes on and off without warning. I recently got around to turning down the sensitivity on the shock sensor module, and tried the trick of programming the remote 4 times to fill up all the slots, and it appeared to work for a little while, however it just made a nice show in the parking lot at work 馃槀.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix it, and or know of any place I can get a replacement alarm module that I keeps seeing referenced in different threads?

Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
Hi Rap,

From personal experience troubleshooting my factory alarm and the odd story I've come across with, you may need to replace your alarm with an aftermarket one :/

What seems to happen is a ground somewhere acts up. Might even be a soldier or circuit on the board wihtin the brain that fails simply due to age. My car would randomly go off, randomly lock or unlock the doors, prevent me from starting the car, etc.

You can try and fix it but there's a high probability you'll go down a rabbit hole of replacement different parts and components. And nothing is available new anymore from the dealer for a few years now. If you have the skill, patience and time, I suppose there's nothing wrong with attempting to test/troubleshoot the brain's circuit board on a workbench. If you figure out that fix, that could help a few people in the RS community.

I ended up going with an aftermarket alarm, installed for $300 with lifetime warranty on the install and brain. I've had years and years of trouble free operation. I had probably spend that much trying to collect the last of the factory alarm parts I needed trying to troubleshooting anyway.

Registered
Hi Rap,

From personal experience troubleshooting my factory alarm and the odd story I've come across with, you may need to replace your alarm with an aftermarket one :/

What seems to happen is a ground somewhere acts up. Might even be a soldier or circuit on the board wihtin the brain that fails simply due to age. My car would randomly go off, randomly lock or unlock the doors, prevent me from starting the car, etc.

You can try and fix it but there's a high probability you'll go down a rabbit hole of replacement different parts and components. And nothing is available new anymore from the dealer for a few years now. If you have the skill, patience and time, I suppose there's nothing wrong with attempting to test/troubleshoot the brain's circuit board on a workbench. If you figure out that fix, that could help a few people in the RS community.

I ended up going with an aftermarket alarm, installed for $300 with lifetime warranty on the install and brain. I've had years and years of trouble free operation. I had probably spend that much trying to collect the last of the factory alarm parts I needed trying to troubleshooting anyway.
Ohhh this makes so much sense I just bought a 2.5rs and every couple of weeks my car wont start for like 15 minutes and I had no idea what the hell it was. And I also get the car trying to unlock my car repeatedly too. Do you have a link to that aftermarket alarm you were referring too

Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS "RuSTI"
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, I've got another interesting problem with this, I decided that I was just going to keep my car in valet mode so that I could still easily lock and unlock my car, however it appears that the led/button no longer acts as a button........ does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can try and chop in a new button?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts