Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

301 - 320 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
571 Posts
ok so hopefully someone in here has done the same swap, and can help me!

i just finished my 04 WRX to 01 RS swap. full harness and dash. the only thing im having a problem with is getting the high beams to work correctly.

if i pull the sopcket out with the bulb, i can make sure both high and low beam fillaments work on the bulb. but when i wire them in the way they should be. only the low beams come on? or maybe high? hard to tell in the daylight. and the high beam indicator on the dash stays on. but when i pull the passing light switch, or push it forward to do just high beams, they dont switch to high.

HELP ME! i need to get inspected. :(
kind of curious. would the DRL module on the 04 wrx cause this? only saying this because you got the full 04 wrx harness swapped in.

·
Registered
317 Posts
ok so hopefully someone in here has done the same swap, and can help me!

i just finished my 04 WRX to 01 RS swap. full harness and dash. the only thing im having a problem with is getting the high beams to work correctly.

if i pull the sopcket out with the bulb, i can make sure both high and low beam fillaments work on the bulb. but when i wire them in the way they should be. only the low beams come on? or maybe high? hard to tell in the daylight. and the high beam indicator on the dash stays on. but when i pull the passing light switch, or push it forward to do just high beams, they dont switch to high.

HELP ME! i need to get inspected. :(
Not sure how you wired up the lights?

For your swap there should be a red wire and a yellow/red wire on the WRX harness at each headlight. The red wire is high beams, the yellow/red low. Connect the red wires to the red wires on both RS headlight plugs. Do the same for the yellow/red to the yellow/blue on the RS headlight plugs. The only other thing is on the WRX harness there should be a pair of blue/white wires at the right headlight and red/blue wires at the left headlight. Connect to the respective single blue/white and red/blue wires on the GC headlight plugs.

If your wiring is like that and it doesn't work then I'm not sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a quick question concerning the Line end check 2 wire.

*Line End Check 2 B134/20 – B135/12 This is the OBDII connector Pin 5 but needs to be moved to pin 8 to make reflashing possible (Doesn’t exist on the RS so you need to Repin the OBDII connector or try switching to a 2002+ OBDII connector.)

OK, my Forester has NO wire in B135/12 so I can't put B134/20 anywhere.
It's a 2002 SF Forester

I don't understand this.. do I put the WRX B134/20 in pin8 of the OBD2?

·
Registered
1 Posts
brydon need your help. i own 2001 impreza 2.5rs. car has over 240k on it and would like to keep it. few months ago the timing belt tensioner went while driving it. i am interesed in putting another engine and tranny in it. i was told to go to torontojdm for used engines out of japan. i have no clue as to what will swap into my car. i will also try and put a new tensioner and see if it will run, maybe i got lucky. anyways any info you can give me will be awesome. thanx

·
...Lower it
01 Aspen Ej205'd RS
7,013 Posts
brydon need your help. i own 2001 impreza 2.5rs. car has over 240k on it and would like to keep it. few months ago the timing belt tensioner went while driving it. i am interesed in putting another engine and tranny in it. i was told to go to torontojdm for used engines out of japan. i have no clue as to what will swap into my car. i will also try and put a new tensioner and see if it will run, maybe i got lucky. anyways any info you can give me will be awesome. thanx
yea do that jdm yo

·
Registered
1996 Impreza Brighton
143 Posts
I'm getting ready to merge a 04 wrx harness into my Brighton. Has anyone else done a swap to this year of a impreza?

sent from HTC EVO 3D via tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 WRX swapped 2.5RS
209 Posts
Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I'm doing a 2000 2.5RS (manual) to 2003 WRX (manual) engine swap. I've got everything merged already, except for one wire. I found an old thread about it, but it didn't help me too much.

The wire in question: From the RS ECU pin out, wire B136/29. It's a Red/White stripe wire. (It's for the RS Atmospheric Pressure Sensor)

My question: Does anyone know where (if at all) you need to merge that wire?

Any help is appreciated. I've read of people both merging it, and not merging it. After reading that thread, I believe I need to merge it to not throw a CEL code. The problem is, no one says where they merged it.

Here is the old thread I was talking about: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t103509-do-you-need-atmospheric-pressure-sensor.html

·
Registered
2000 WRX swapped 2.5RS
209 Posts
Maybe I could try to rephrase things. The RS ECU pin out B136/29 is the RS's atmospheric pressure sensor. The WRX also has an atmospheric pressure sensor (I believe it's located on the throttle body). I don't know if people are referring to the WRX's or RS's atmospheric pressure sensor in the thread I posted above. Is it necessary to wire in the RS's atmospheric pressure sensor to the WRX ECU...if the WRX already has one? People seem to just reference the sensor without mentioning which car it belonged to. I'm just wondering if the WRX ECU needs to see the RS's atmospheric pressure sensor. If so, then where should I wire it? If not, then it's coming off.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
From my understanding, the Atmo Pressure sensor isn't quite as important for the tune in a MAF setup, but when I swapped my RS ECU to an '02 WRX one for my supercharger build, I ran speed-density, which REQUIRES an atmo pressure sensor, pretty much.

In my case, I just merged the RS harness at the ECU to the WRX harness, using the RS sensor, and it works fine. It sees my pressure locally as 14.8 (which is about right, though a touch high, I'm on the Hudson river). But with the WRX ECU, it doesn't matter, because you can re-scale the sensor via RomRaider.

IIRC, the wiring is identical, so that's not an issue, but you can check that on the diagrams.

·
Registered
2000 WRX swapped 2.5RS
209 Posts
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it :). Do you remember where exactly on the WRX harness you merged the RS sensor? More specifically, which connector and pin? I've been studying the schematics for both, and found the wiring for the WRX pressure sensor. The problem is, it doesn't make sense to me to wire in another pressure sensor if the WRX ECU is already receiving a reading from the WRX pressure sensor. However, I'm confused because people have said the RS sensor is necessary. I actually think it's meant to me removed when merging. To add more to the confusion, no one ever mentions whether or not that sensor is merged or removed in any of the online guides I've come across.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Well, I mean, you only need one sensor. Either the WRX or the RS one will work, it's just a piezo element that changes resistance depending on the atmospheric pressure.

Don't get confused by the MAP sensor in the WRX throttle body, WRXs use both MAF and MAP sensors in the stock setup.

On the RS ECU, the pins are B136-29 for the signal, and B136-15 for power (shared by a lot of sensors). B136-16 is the shared sensor ground. *I note that there's no MAP sensor listed, though, despite the wiring diagram showing them separately.*

The WRX ECU is... Hiding from me. According to the swap sheet I made up, I hooked up the atmo sensor to the WRX's MAP sensor, which I know is wrong. For some reason I can't locate the pins for the WRX atmo sensor. I've now confused myself...

Let me physically check my wiring tomorrow. I know there's a separate Atmo and Manifold sensor, the LOCATION diagram agrees with that, as does the wiring diagram.

^ Okay, weirder than I thought. The RS has a MAP and an Atmo. The WRX has a MAP and a MAF, but no Atmo, according to the diagrams. Now, I know there's an Atmo value in the logger, so I have to definitely check my wiring on this, because where does it get that value if there's no input for it... My wiring excel sheet doesn't mention this either. Definitely need to check my wiring. Let me do that tomorrow, I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
2000 WRX swapped 2.5RS
209 Posts
Thank you for the help. There is a pressure sensor on the WRX wiring diagram that ties into the TPS, engine coolant temp. sensor, as well as the left and right TGV angle sensors. On the RS wiring diagram, the atmospheric pressure sensor ties into the TPS only. Perhaps that pressure sensor on the WRX is the MAP sensor? That could be the reason many have argued in favor of merging the RS's atmospheric pressure sensor into the WRX ECU. I'll let you verify where that R/W wire goes and take it from there. Again, thanks so much for the help. I'm just hung up on this last wire so I'm looking forward to identifying it's location.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
The thing that's confusing me is that there's no "Atmospheric Pressure Sensor" listed in any of the WRX docs, but it gets it from somewhere. The ONLY pressure sensor the WRX diagram lists is the MANIFOLD pressure sensor, which absolutely doesn't want to be atmospheric. I know for a fact that MAP port on the TB is under vacuum, too, as I use it to power my cruise control actuator in my SC build.

The RS, on the other hand, has both a MAP sensor and an Atmospheric Pressure sensor. That's what's throwing me- I know why the MAP RS has an atmo, but where does the WRX get it's Atmo reading from? It's not as important for the WRX, since it has a MAF. It's really only used for fine-tuning large altitude level changes on the WRX.

Hence why I'm quite confused as to how I wired mine. I do remember having issues with a R/W wire that I damaged that led to the MAP, so I'm wondering if the WRX ECU simply pulls the Atmo pressure when the ECU is keyed on without any RPM... But then how would it adjust for level changes since starting? Oi... Definitely have to do a physical trace on the wires.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Hmm... A little searching tells me that the 06+ has the Atmo sensor as part of the Air Pump.

But apparently the 2002 (and therefore the 2003) have it on the ECU board, as you found. That would explain why I never found the wiring.

I'm thinking that R/W wire is actually the Atmo sensor signal, and for some reason it just has weird nomenclature (diagram confirms it, but the colors in there aren't always accurate). That would also explain why I thought I broke the MAP signal wire... It was actually the Atmo pressure sensor wire. Wow, I feel dumb for not catching that one.

So it looks like the atmo sensor already on the car for the RS is unused, since the WRX either has it on the board, or it uses the MAP sensor. I should really update my wire list will all these little things.

·
Registered
2000 WRX swapped 2.5RS
209 Posts
Okay then, I guess I'm removing that RS sensor/sensor wiring. If I get problems...I know where to start looking haha. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
I left mine in... But I guess I could pull it out now. :p

Oh man that sounded dirty.

Let us know if that works correctly, it would be good to know for sure.

·
Registered
2000 WRX swapped 2.5RS
209 Posts
:lol:. Well I actually left the RS's atmospheric pressure sensor power and ground wires connected. I just merged the sensor's ground (solid blue wire) to an unused ground wire that was already cut at the WRX's shielded/sensor ground joint connector. The only wire I left not merged to anything was the RS sensor's signal wire (R/W). I will try to get things finished up and post my results.

301 - 320 of 356 Posts