Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm a first time poster. I have a 1998 2.5 rs that i am looking to do a swap on. We have about 3500 to 4000 to play with, i was wondering if there was any place in WA that you guys know about that is good and what do you think we can get with that money. All suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
No idea with the location in WA, although I have looked in to this alot due to the fact I have a 1998 RS as well, though i'm going with the turbo, 3500-4000 is a little short unless your gonna do it yourself. An USDM WRX EJ20 is gonna run you around 2000-3500 bucks, if you can find it in a smart way you could pay maybe under 2k but i doubt it and will prob have a alot of miles. Now if you go with the JDM engine for the 1998 you prob could get it pretty cheap like 1500 bucks or so, and to install it's around 3000, i believe it's more to install the JDM. I would go with the USDM because to find JDM parts in the US is a bit of a bitch. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I go with the USDM WRX EJ20 for say $2500, what modifications and costs will there be for it to work on my RS?

·
Registered
63 Posts
depends if you do it yourself prob around under 1k, but there some stuff that's pretty complicated the engine it's self pretty much pops in and out, although the harness is the thing you gotta deal with, by that i mean the electrical which almost takes a profession unless you really are willing to put some time in to it. Really depends on the EU you go with, can cost between 500 and 2000 bucks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
An EJ20 should not cost you more than 2000 bucks... Do more than look, call around or PM some vendors on this site, they'll be able to look around even if they don't have something... And if you think you can drop the engine in yourself, you can always send your harness in to a shop for them to merge and then you can install it. Just use the search button and look around and read around as much as you can.

·
Registered
63 Posts
bah not really turbos are better in the end if you are smart enough with it, with the right EM and some engine mods that guve a tad bit less compression, if you run say 5-6 psi from AVO you'll get 265-280 at the crank and will be totally safe as long as you have a new clutch, that is the way I'm going

·
Registered
2000 SRP RS
311 Posts
Turbo vs. Swap = all a matter of personal choice and how you drive it. Also depends what condition your motor is in.

As for the swap, I was fortunate enough to find a V3 WRX motor for sale for $1200, had turbo, IC, full harness, etc. I had to drive 3.5 hours to get it, but I say its worth it.

People look at wiring and say what a mess, I can't do that. I can understand it can be intimidating, but if you are really willing to do the swap, its worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
95 RHD WRX
1,799 Posts
mozzy said:
bah not really turbos are better in the end if you are smart enough with it, with the right EM and some engine mods that guve a tad bit less compression, if you run say 5-6 psi from AVO you'll get 265-280 at the crank and will be totally safe as long as you have a new clutch, that is the way I'm going
Better? Hardly. Sure, go that route and get your 280 crank on 6psi, and have a fully maxed out motor with still the long geared rs tranny. Or just swap a jdm v2 and make 280hp stock with much better gear ratios and t]have a mechanical lsd. Make 350 crank on the stock turbo. Even if you only wnated 280hp, Id go swap, just because you'd get your 280hp without straining the mptor at all. Better in the longrun is a swap byfar. Also, you can't rev ANY usdm Impreza motor to 8000rpm. Only in jdm land. My V2 does 21/22mpg city untuned as well. Same as my old RS. It's nice shifting at 7500rpm.

Also, there are nearly no parts off the ej20g that are hard to find, many of them are interchanagable with L shitz, and I havn't had a problem finding anythign I need.

The standard notion with usdm wrx swaps is, be prepared to pay 5-6g+.

I am a jdm whore. whore whore whore, jdm is just better. Unless you really really need to pass emisions legally. Ej205 is just not constructed to the level of the JDM ej20g or newer. The ej20g came with a 16g turbo, that thing is huge, hugest subaru turbo on stock car. All you need is a powerfc and you can run 1.4 bar of boostb with decent gas. Stock ecu adjusts for octane levels. Also the tranny is much better, its just made tougher and the gear ratios are SHORT.The car is always on boost, always in power zone and just takes off JDM land has some nice things you just cant get usdm. I love my 8k redline.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know where I can get a pre-merged harness if I were to put an EJ20 into my car? How much would it be? I'm not too good with all of the wiring to be able to merge them myself and the guy that would be putting the engine into my car wouldn't be able to do it either.

·
Registered
2000 SRP RS
311 Posts
Pre-merged would have to be your engine harness (or the exact same year of your car) with the exact same year of your engine, whether its a WRX version 2 or a STi version 6. Its possible, but would be hard to find. I think the easiest thing to do is take out the current harness in your car, take the harness that came with the new engine, and give them to a shop, or person that will merge it for you. Around here in PA it costs roughly 1k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts