Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
GM6 2.5RS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, the JDM Lightweight bumper beam is NOT AN OPTION!

Second, does a 2000-2001 Front bumper, also called a version 6, fit directly to my 1998 2.5RS bumper or do I need to purchase the 2000-2001 USDM OEM Front bumper beam?

I was looking at this,

('93-'01) 93-01 Impreza GC8 STi Version 6 bumper & front end swap FAQ - NASIOC

And I wanted to make 100% sure of these questions before making purchases.

:puppy_dog:

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
You need the USDM OEM front beam or cut the shit out of the L beam that's currently on your car.

Once all mounted together, you'll need to drill a new hole on your license plate, as Japanese license plate's mount holes are further apart.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
You need the USDM OEM front beam or cut the shit out of the L beam that's currently on your car.

Once all mounted together, you'll need to drill a new hole on your license plate, as Japanese license plate's mount holes are further apart.
cut the shit out of it? Hardly, you cut the bottom section off which takes a whole 15 minutes with a saws-all. If you cut it close enough to the top section you're keeping with your first cut, the less work you'll actually have to do!

·
Banned
GM6 2.5RS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the boards, and the search function is your friend :)

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t126976-easy-l-rs-bumper-conversion.html

cliffnotes - you can cut your 1998 RS bumper beam to work with the 99-01 2.5RS/v5/v6 front bumper skin, just follow the above linked direction.
Isn't my bumper beam a 1998 RS beam? Not an L beam?

Same question, shouldn't the beam that is currently on my car be an RS beam? and I don't plan on having a front mounted license plate but thank you for being thorough.

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
cut the shit out of it? Hardly, you cut the bottom section off which takes a whole 15 minutes with a saws-all. If you cut it close enough to the top section you're keeping with your first cut, the less work you'll actually have to do!
That's just an expression. I cut the shit out of everything. Even small cuts are, "cut the shit out of it."

-------------

Anyways, 98 RS's use the L bumper. So you have the L beam.

·
Banned
GM6 2.5RS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 98 RS came with the L bumper and bumper beam.
:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg: THAT EXPLAINS SOOO MUCH!

I feel -> :loser:

Alright, so let me get this straight... if I follow that link in first comment, cut my beam in half horizontally and bolt it back on it will fit the v4, v5, and v6 front bumpers no issues?

Number 2. If I purchase a USDM OEM 2001 RS Bumper beam, will it be able to attach a v4? v5? and/or v6? Bumper without any modding??

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Alright, so let me get this straight... if I follow that link in first comment, cut my beam in half horizontally and bolt it back on it will fit the v4, v5, and v6 front bumpers no issues?

Number 2. If I purchase a USDM OEM 2001 RS Bumper beam, will it be able to attach a v4? v5? and/or v6? Bumper without any modding??
Correct for the first, and I BELIEVE (unsure as I haven't used an RS bumper beam with a v4 bumper skin) that is correct.

·
Banned
GM6 2.5RS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct for the first, and I BELIEVE (unsure as I haven't used an RS bumper beam with a v4 bumper skin) that is correct.
If I can get confirmation of the 2001 RS Bumper beam and Version 4 front bumper I will be staying at this site forever because you guys have been such a HUGE help!

*Spoiler alert* either way im staying haha.

Also, your signature is BOSS.

·
I kill threads!
3,762 Posts
v1-v4 are completely different from the v5-v6. If you cut the beam, it should work for all bumpers. If you get an OEM v5-v6 beam, I doubt it'll work for v1-v4 bumpers.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
My v4 bumper skin, did not fit properly with my lightweight v5/v6 beam, I had to get a v4 lightweight beam.

The section on the v5 beam that was causing problems were was the portion where the fog light 'well' is supposed to go. This portion is part of a vertical fin that extends all the way down to where the bumper skin would clip in from the bottom. On the v5 beam the 'well' portion is too low, this caused the 'well' on my v4 skin to be pushed down which didn't allow proper alignment or attachment of the skin. The v4 skin WILL go on the v5 beam, but it won't be pretty.

The v4 beam does not have these fins or these 'wells' so the v4 skin isn't being stretched or pulled. It only has attachment points for the top.

This may be different on the stock RS beam, so I'm not sure in that case.
The RS bumper beam will NOT work properly with the v4 skin. Read above quote.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Why delete? Save the post for future reference so if anyone else has the same question they can find the answer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.