Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago i got a 1996 Impreza L and was wondering what some good upgrades to start with were or what you guys would recommend in terms of exhaust and stuff like that anything would be a help thanks

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
2.2 or 1.8?

And if i were you i would mostly just stick with suspension.

I put a air intake on my old Ej18 and it did make it faster, but they thing was still just downright slow. and it was FWD.

If you really want you could add an intake and exhaust, it will probabaly help a bit, but i wouldn't expect your car to be fast without a swap.

If i were you, get good suspension setup, and save and save and swap with EJ25 or Turbo powerplant

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Look at any suspension parts for the RS. They all fit from 93-01. Even the motor stuff, like headers, crank pulleys, intakes, etc. Think "Legos", cuz that's what the Subarus are. Freakin Legos man.....fun stuff indeed. Having the EJ22 is a huge advantage already. You're only about 30hp down from an RS, but you're also about 300lbs lighter (depending on trim level, brakes, etc.....) Your car is light....very light. Keep it that way and the power deficit narrows. I think suspension components for the RS actually work better on the L/Brighton due to the lighter weight.

For a point of reference, my 96 was an AWD EJ18. I started with suspension and worked up to motor stuff, swaps, hybrid builds, etc. I have done quite well with it despite the lower power. It now sports a phase II EJ22 with a custom header, running off a 98RS ECU with a good suspension setup and is turning autocross times quicker than most RS's and WRX's anywhere I go. Sure it ain't fast in a straight line....but let that road turn into twisties? .......forget about it.....I'll see you at the next stop.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
For a good start, I would look for a set of KYB AGX struts and decent springs, like the Eibach ProKit. There may be others that have come around since those were the bomb, but it's a solid combo that totally transforms the car. Adding bigger swaybars will also help the car turn into a corner carving machine. There are a couple general schools of thought on how to get rid of the typical understeer that Subies seem to be blessed with....and your intended purposes for the car will dictate what choices you should probably look into for getting better handling for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts