So I went to my mechanic and he ran the computer
So the speed sensor code showed up so I called Subaru and told
Them I needed a speed sensor they said there's no speed sensor
On my model can any help me out on this to find the right sensor

·
Registered
96 L Turbo Wagon
3,641 Posts
It's just a speedo cable. If yours isn't working then it's probably just unplugged at one end.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1996 Impreza Brighton
143 Posts
Actually now that I think about it When i was monitoring my impreza with my actron tool it does show vehicle speed from the ecu and mine doesnt have a speed sensor for abs because mine has no abs but some how the ecu gets a speed reading. I will look into this deeper!!!

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
There is a cable from the transmission to the gauge cluster. without this connected the car will most likely go into limp mode. there are actually 2 parts, 1 is the "sensor" part at the transmission, and the 2nd is the cable that fits into the sensor and fits into the cluster.

the annoying part is, its a bitch to reconnect at the cluster because there is very little room for your hand behind the cluster and very little slack in the very stiff cable.

good luck. it probably just popped loose somewhere. note there is a clip that holds the cable to the sensor at the transmission side

·
Registered
1996 subaru impreza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys thanks slot for the great info I'm gonna check for everything tomorrow if
The problem is solved or not ill come back with a post

·
Registered
1996 subaru impreza
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok by the way what's the name of the sensor this is connected to the tranny

·
Registered
07 WRX, 06 STI, 00 RS, 05 LGT
69 Posts
Don't mean to revive and old thread but what is the easiest way to get the speedo cable back in the cluster. I just swapped clusters and can't for the life of me fit my hand back there while the cluster is in far enough for the cable to reach.

Is the best way to disconnect from the transmission side. Assuming this will give some slack on the cluster end I would install in the cluster side first and then back into the transmission?

P.s I've driven about 5 miles so far with no cable plugged in and I'm not throwing any cel's or going into limp mode(93 impreza).

·
Registered
1995 L
100 Posts
I know its old but for he sake of having correct info for others who search...

It's really tight, you have to have the cluster almost in position and get a few fingers back there to snap the cable onto the cluster.

Also, the early cable speedo imprezas have no speed sensor on the trans. Its a gear driven speedo drive in the trans that the cable plugs into and then threads onto the trans.

The speed sensor is a magnetic switch in the cluster itself. Every rotation causes the switch to open and close. The faster the speedometer cable and speedo are spinning, the higher the frequency. You either have to take apart the cluster and try and replace that speed sensor switch or replace the speedo/cluster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts