Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SUBARU IMPREZA RSTI EJ20K
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its OBD2 which would suck ass but oh well. Hoping its OBD1 but let me know if anyone knows.

·
Registered
99' L-WRX wagon
591 Posts
I'm guessing where he lives there is more restriction on emissions inspection for obd2 making the choices for a swap much less.

·
Wiring Guru
01 RS, 97 Ducati
357 Posts
OBDII has stricter restrictions. You can't put an older JDM motor in and pass emissions as they plug the machine into the cars OBDII port. With OBDI they can not do this and therefore it is a piece of cake to run an older JDM motor and not get hassled by the man.

·
Registered
1999 SUBARU IMPREZA RSTI EJ20K
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
exactly thats sucks :/

oh well I guess im going USDM then :/

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
You could always swap vin plates...

·
Registered
2002 2.5TS
1,202 Posts
well, im pretty sure i heard it depends on what production yours was part of in 96...someone correct me if im wrong but i heard from a friend only the latter part of the production year 96 was switched to odb2...

so that would mean it is still possible to have a 96 with odb1 if it was built early 96?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
well, im pretty sure i heard it depends on what production yours was part of in 96...someone correct me if im wrong but i heard from a friend only the latter part of the production year 96 was switched to odb2...

so that would mean it is still possible to have a 96 with odb1 if it was built early 96?
yes, many other manufacturers like DSM and Toyota did the switch in 95.

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
2,610 Posts
obd2 doesnt suck..obd1 is for jdm *** boys like the OP..if u wanan build a turbo kit obd2 is a good option depending on the year. usdm swaps pwn

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts

Subaru started the switch from obd1 and obd2 in MY95, legacy's were obd2 in MY95. By MY96 ALL Subaru's were OBD2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts