Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD gc6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys i have a 1995 subaru impreza l 1.8 AWD , I heard that i could swap a tribeca h6 engine, or a 90s legacy h6,
Im curious to know what will be cheaper to install and run? Would the legacy h6 just bolt up to my 5 speed? I'm still fairly new to subies but im eager to get started. I want to know what would be the cheapest best option in my case, thank you : )

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,802 Posts
2001-2004 outback will be the easiest and probably cheapest, and it does bolt to your transmission. And it fits in your engine bay rather well.

Can you read diagrams and splice around 100 wires together between your car and the h6 wiring harness? And if you get any wrong (and/or if the subaru factory service diagrams are wrong, which they frequently are) are you able to trouble shoot which wires are reversed and fix it? Not trying to scare you off, but if you have no wiring experience, or have doubts about your skills, this is not a swap for you. There are no "step by step guides" per say, you'll have to scour the internet for info.

Here is my h6 swap wiring work. It's in a 2003 Baja now, unfortunately almost nothing from that would be applicable.

Here's what iwire has to say about h6 swaps: 6 Cylinder Subaru Swap

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
962 Posts
I've done the exact same thing. My 1995 coupe had the 1.8, now it has a 3.0 EZ30 from, as mike-tracy said, an 01-04 outback. Relatively easy swap to be honest. I ended up removing a ton of extra wires when I merged my harness, but if you want to keep abs and door chimes and such it's quite easy.
You need the radiator from the same car, because the EZ engines have 2 coolant out to radiator instead of 1 like the 4cyl. Stock fans don't quite fit, but eBay slimfans can be had for cheap and work great. Engine mounts and bellhousing bolt right up.
Some people have had trouble with the stock exhaust hitting the 5 speed crossmember, but I didn't, don't know how to explain that.

Honestly, the 6 cylinder swap is way cool, and sounds better than any 4 cylinder, HOWEVER, I had a 2.2 bottom end with 2.5 heads and a WRX turbo at 18psi and it was much, much faster. Food for thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts