Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am trying to change the diff fluid for my sti, I've done the rear diff using 75w90 lucas oil, (I do not have motul available locally).

How do I replace the center diff fluid, it is a dccd center diff.

And does my car have a front diff, and if so, how do I replace the fluid for that as well?

to my understanding I just need 75w90 for all drive train components, please correct me if I'm wrong.

· Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,095 Posts
75w90 gear oil is appropriate. The whole manual trans shares gear oil between the front and center diff.

You just need to drain the oil out of the trans drain plug on the bottom, and refill it through the dipstick hole, to refill the trans.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
75w90 gear oil is appropriate. The whole manual trans shares gear oil between the front and center diff.

You just need to drain the oil out of the trans drain plug on the bottom, and refill it through the dipstick hole, to refill the trans.
Thanks a lot! I will get right to replacing that fluid. BTW, does it really matter if I don't use motul or redline or any specific brand, is it ok if I just use some synthetic off the shelf of my local store?

· Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,095 Posts
You don't need to use fancy oils if you don't want to, but I've found that Amsoil and redline will work better when cold, ie you can shift smoother before things warm up. Also if your synchros or balk rings are wearing out, the fancy oils can smooth those out too. If your trans shifts great, you'll probably be fine with normal synthetic.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't need to use fancy oils if you don't want to, but I've found that Amsoil and redline will work better when cold, ie you can shift smoother before things warm up. Also if your synchros or balk rings are wearing out, the fancy oils can smooth those out too. If your trans shifts great, you'll probably be fine with normal synthetic.
alright, thanks so much for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts