Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 93 1.8 that I switched out with a 2.2 that I believe is from 97 out of a legacy. I’ve read the forums saying keep my intake off the 1.8 which I did. I have the motor in the car, it has spark and fuel pressure and oil pressure and everything is plugged in. When I turn it over it has a very rough idle and I put my hand on the valve cover of the cylinders 1-3 (passenger side) and it’s warm great but the other side is cold which means It’s not working I’m running on two maybe even one cylinder. The 1.8 did have EGR but I plugged the holes and essentially deleted it. I have no idea what to do I’m out of ideas PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
936 Posts
Injector plugs might be switched on the one side, or the plug wires? I've had similar strange electrical issues when I didn't FULLY plug in engine connectors, some things worked some intermittently, done not at all. Double check all your connections. And grounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Injector plugs might be switched on the one side, or the plug wires? I've had similar strange electrical issues when I didn't FULLY plug in engine connectors, some things worked some intermittently, done not at all. Double check all your connections. And grounds.
I’ve gone over the plugs multiple times and checked the grounds. It’s something to do with the cam sensor. I read here that maybe I need to swap the pulleys because the sensor isn’t reading them right or something. I guess I’ll check over the plugs again while I’m at it. Thanks

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
936 Posts
Cams should be exactly the same. I ran all kinds of phase 1 cam wheels on my 95 1.8 ecu, sohc and dohc. I believe in phase 2 vehicles the cams/crank are different between auto to manual but didn't think that was the case with pre-'99's. Known good engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what the thing was I rebuilt this entire 2.2 out of a 97 legacy used the tranny and intake manifold off the 1.8 the only thing is the 1.8 had hydraulic valves and the valves on the 2.2 were mechanical so my valves were stuck open. Problem fixed runs great thanks for the help though!

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,603 Posts
Moved from "Site news and announcements" to "Swaps and Conversions"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.