Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, looking for my first car and would appreciate a few tips and advices!
I'm from Brazil and I'm almost buying a 1993 1.8 AWD Impreza, it has a EJ18 engine that starts and runs great, it is in good condition, interior is pretty clean and it only has a few details on the bodywork.
From a few internet searches I found out that the this model makes around 103hp, for a first car I think that's not that bad, but I just would like to know from more experienced Subaru owners what kind of upgrades I should look up to, again, it's my first car so it's more a dream project than anything, but I accep all kinds of advices!
Thanks for reading and I'm not sure if my english is perfect, but I hope it was at least readable.
Also it's my first post here so I'm still getting used to the platform.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
907 Posts
Best: I would buy a wrecked JDM GC8 and swap the parts over.

Better: get 1993 Impreza specific aftermarket suspension (high quality struts, coilovers, Koni inserts, along with matching springs).

Good: get OEM replacement brand new KYB struts for your car. Reuse your springs, or use better yet GC8 STI/WRX springs.

Acceptable but not ideal: used 02-07 WRX struts, and swap your rear strut tophats over. You're still putting used parts on your car, and they could already be blown or last 1k miles etc

Also, get bigger swaybars, 92-07 WRX or STI ones will work in the rear. The turbo front sway bars won't fit your non-turbo front crossmember.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
907 Posts
Also, do some searching on what other people have done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, do some searching on what other people have done.
Yeah I've been searching for a time now, but I don't know why but I can't find that many EJ18 Imprezas who havend just been either swapped or just turbocharged without many other details, maybe it's just my research, but i felt like actually talking with other owners is better

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
907 Posts
You'll see why everyone swaps out the 1.8L after owning it for a while. ;)

You don't necessarily have to swap to turbo, you can put any year EJ 2.5L shortblock between your 1.8L heads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll see why everyone swaps out the 1.8L after owning it for a while. ;)

You don't necessarily have to swap to turbo, you can put any year EJ 2.5L shortblock between your 1.8L heads.
Oh cool, but apart from the heads, can any other component be reused from the 1.8 engine?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
907 Posts
You reuse literally everything from the 1.8L engine, except for the 1.8L short block. You gain roughly 50 HP, and your car takes premium fuel now, but it's a lot more fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts