Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright, currently I have a MY96 2.2, and I am obviously looking for more power:devil: I went to a scooby junkyard to search out engines, got some quotes on ej20t's and legacy ej22t's. My question is: are the internals of the (1991-93) Legacy EJ22T that much stronger than that of an Impreza EJ22 from 96? If I did the swap, I would be upgrading the turbo anyway (most likely with a ludespeed/FAT kit -not sure which yet). So which will give me higher more reliable gains- a 1996 EJ22 w/aftermarket turbo kit or 1991 Ej22T w/upgraded turbo kit? I know I'll save more with just an aftermarket kit, but I want power (this is also a daily driver which will eventually be brought to the track) Any help, suggestions/redirection is appreciated.

(I was also thinking I could get the Legacy block/2.5 heads and pull parts off my current 2.2 to save $$$)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
woah, thanks for all the replies :eek: :rolleyes:

Once i get the cash together i'm gonna use the 1991 ej22t block and internals and MY00-01 2.5 heads. And upgrade the turbo and drop it in my L. This sucks, I thought i'd get more help here than on I-Club...

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
i've come to save the day!

from what i've heard, the Legacy 2.2T bock is closed deck i think? i dunno.........(sorry) runs a CR or 8.0:1 which is very nice for boost. It would be interesting to use the EJ25 heads.

Reliable?
I'd say the 2.2T is better as it already has a low compression ratio. An upgrade turbo and IC may do you more in power while still safe.

The 2.2 with aftermarket turbo is another good way. You'll have to run lighter boost though. if searching for more power you'll have to lower the CR to be safer and more reliable.

to me, i'd say go with the Legacy motor (2.2T)

using the ej22t's internals are something. I just hope they fit. If they do, then what a great way to start!;)

EDIT: my CR mistake........hehe

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks- yeah it does have a closed deck in 1991-94 and CR of 8:1
I was definitely planning on an intercooler and proper engine management to keep it safe. You think 87k on a ej22t is too many miles for a project like this? Well, back to researching...

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
87k? humm............too much? It depends how the engine was used. It could be 25% of revving...........10% of revving......

It depends what the engine has gone through. Maybe do one of those cylinder wall measurments with that one tool (i've seen the tool, forgot what it's called) and see if it has the same or worn out bore. It may tell you if the engine was worked hard or not....

Off-Topic but......
Am i good at this or not? I'm only 16!!! i need to finish school soon!

·
Registered
1995 AWD Brilliant Red Subaru
723 Posts
If I am correct, the term is called "mic'ing" it. They use a mircometer to measure the cylinder walls for consistancy. O, and btw, I am 16 too. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it don't bother me whether you're 16 or 60, it's what's in your head that counts. My neighbor is 17 and has been rebuilding cars with his father since he was in diapers. I have no doubt that he could school me and about 75% of RS25/I-Club boards. Thanks for the help guys. I was planning on tearing the engine apart anyway to clean it out and reseal everything. True about the engine working hard or granny was driving thing. I'm gonna get my grandfather to give me a hand (he's a former BMW/Subaru mechanic/engineer). Well, hopefully this project will go under way within a month or two :D :devil:

·
Registered
20 Posts
If an engine has 87K and you've already got it out and taken it apart. The hard part is already done. Things to consider, actually recommended:

Re-bore or hone the cylinders: After this many miles, the cylinder tapers will be off on each cylinder. Might as well start fresh. You will need oversized pistons, you can bore to .050 or .100 over. You'll benefit from the slightly increased displacement as well.

Get all new bearing shells for the main crank journals as well as the bottom end. Check for scoring in the old bearing shells and make sure you "plasti-guage" the bearings to the proper tolerances.

While the crankshaft is out, check to make sure that the bearing surfaces are not scored. If they are scored, send it out to a reputable machine shop to polish, if the scoring is too deep, the only other recourse is to re-grind the crank and use oversized bearings.

Might as well do things right the first time. You'll enjoy your build up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts