Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, rather then keep posting in the motorcycle thread, I'd figure I'd start a journal.

I have been wanting a street bike for some time. Ideally I want a supermoto, but that financially wasn't in the cards for now. So I started browsing craigslist for 80's era cruiser style bikes., and lowballing people.

This is what I ended up with. Clean title, runs great, I got it for $500. Plan for the bike is to clean it up, turn it into a bobber styled bike, and flip it next spring for a little extra money.

Here is the progression so far.

When I bought it, super ugly and worn.

It had some really ghetto ignition wiring switches dangling from the front of the bike and the kill switch wiring just hung there also, and I had to plug them together for the bike to run. Along with a rats nest of wires, broken headlight mounts, and a lot of zip ties.

Since then, I have extended the ignition switches wiring, and mounted them on the side cover of the bike.

I then cleaned up the kill switch wiring, and made it so it needs a phono jack plugged in to start the bike, it acts as a second key.

And covered up.

I also stripped the gas tank down to bare metal, I like the unfinished look, and the stock paint was really bad on the tank.

Then I chopped the frame, and mounted the solo seat.

Got some generic ebay headlight fork mounts. They worked great.(hoping to get a round headlight soon)

And today I made a side mount license plate bracket out of some sheet metal and a t-brace I had laying around. I will add a brake light mount to this soon.

I still have a decent amount of work left, including:

-Get new exhaust made(straight pipes)
-Rear fender, thinking about using a trailer fender
-Round headlight
-Fork seals
-Paint wheels black
-pull motor this winter, clean and repaint frame and motor.

Hope y'all enjoy it so far!

-Brenton

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Only women like my wife ride an 84 VT500...... PSSSSHHHHHHHHH.

Nice to see the journal, keep it up to date

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if your wife is attractive, I'll take that as a compliment.

Got my tail/brake light mounted down by the license plate.

Bike should be getting an exhaust made, and I still really need to do fork seals.

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Obviously I married her, so she's good lookin.....

Bike looks good, need to get some of those mini LED turn signals to mount right in the frame holes that were cut. Make it SUPER sneaky

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I know a lot of Marines with non attractive wives, I'm sure you do also. Just covering my bases hahaha. Good for you :)

Yeah, I've been considering that. I need a new rear tire, this one got a small split on it on the sidewall, dammit.

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
Well, I know a lot of Marines with non attractive wives, I'm sure you do also. Just covering my bases hahaha. Good for you :)

Yeah, I've been considering that. I need a new rear tire, this one got a small split on it on the sidewall, dammit.
Shinkos are cheap and have run well on the misses bike

·
2.0L Turbo
1998 2.5RS Black EJ205
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, not bad prices at all.

Maybe I'll get some white walls to complete the bobber/retro look :color:

·
Registered
'00 BRP RS Sedan, '04 FXT PSM
218 Posts
I'm in almost the exact same boat in that I'd like some sort of two wheeled transportation but I've always been attracted to scooters. This might be a nice alternative and open up a bit more long distance riding. Really liking the customization you've done and have planned. Please keep the thread up to date for those of us on the moto-fence.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2010 Forester
1,282 Posts
I'm in almost the exact same boat in that I'd like some sort of two wheeled transportation but I've always been attracted to scooters. This might be a nice alternative and open up a bit more long distance riding. Really liking the customization you've done and have planned. Please keep the thread up to date for those of us on the moto-fence.

-Brian
Get one. It is well worth it.

I didn't ride for YEARS then I picked up a 250 to get back into it.

Now I am 5 bikes deep and don't take the RS every once in a while, cuts down on transport costs SO much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts