Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

441 - 445 of 445 Posts

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #441 (Edited)
i guess in short, that last, opportune track day was a blast. laid back group at a laid back, historical track that is due for some serious overhaul in teh coming year. pretty much just open lapping to your hearts content, which i utilized until my arms went to jello.

actually pulled up and getting car off trailer saw it weeping coolant from the headgasket. i was sure it was going to explode on me all over the track, but i kept watching it and it did great all day. got pretty hot on teh back straight but always got right back in check. these engines have seriously blown me away at how stout they are.

hoosiers are truly a god damn treat to drive on, soooo much grip. the car was finally everything it deserved to be. i even came into turn 1 (where i know a lot of people who had their first spin) waaaay too hot (cause i was able to catch most anyone through there) and along with some major a$$hole pvckering only had the back end step out a bit on me, easy to catch. everybody always leaves me in the straights but of two e36 M3s there; one had full $$$$ suspension and was masterfully piloted that just walked over everybody but the other was supercharged on stock suspension and **** tires and i was pretty damn well able to keep up for most of the track

didnt really get pictures but had some fast and classy peoples there with me:
buncha C7s, the Z06 overheated literally every session

the E30 didnt run but there were several E36 Ms, and real cool guys, which was fun cause im seriouly thinking about getting one when i come back

and then literally two days later drove her down to alabama where i fortunately found a spot for her in my dads barn.. and it actually turned out to be a pretty damn perfect spot for a Z :)

and there it shall rest for a few years until i come back and resurrect it all over again (likely with a bit of rust repair on that venture). but for memory's sake, heres a list of what all will likely need attention in case i forget everything by the time i come back:

need for DD/maintenance on return:
Fix windshield wiper motor (honda swap)
Horn
retorque wheel/axle nuts (front end was shifty at times?)
bleed brakes
throw out bearing?

other would-like-to-do items:
Turn/realign carb and convert to throttle cable
replace headers with some for round ports (and/or whole exhaust)
Remount rear diff ('gm' mount or some dudes name thing)
Fix rear toe (need adj control arms)
Ditch coolant crossover hose thing (need to plug t-stat housing, so do electric fans at same time?)
move fuel pump to rear

heading to norway wednesday so ill keep yall updated with any motorsports fun that comes from that - thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
need for DD/maintenance on return:
Fix windshield wiper motor (honda swap)
Horn
retorque wheel/axle nuts (front end was shifty at times?)
bleed brakes
throw out bearing?

other would-like-to-do items:
Turn/realign carb and convert to throttle cable
replace headers with some for round ports (and/or whole exhaust)
Remount rear diff ('gm' mount or some dudes name thing)
Fix rear toe (need adj control arms)
Ditch coolant crossover hose thing (need to plug t-stat housing, so do electric fans at same time?)
move fuel pump to rear
LS1 SWAP
Fixed

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #443 (Edited)
ill maybe turbo the 240 but realistically i just have too many project aspirations to spend that kinda coin on one thats already in a good way. but never say never...

rebuilding a vintage car that i could drive on the track was my bucket list item. the z was the most cost effective, aesthetically pleasing and enjoyable-to-drive way to get there.

but the next is to build something that looks like this, with modern suspension and a V8 ...and likely even daily drivable realiability (EFI)

441 - 445 of 445 Posts