Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

421 - 440 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Cab width and the firewall are easily dealt with, with a sawzall :naughty: .A little bit of cardboard and a sheet metal break and you could make a firewall with ease.

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #423 (Edited)
well id use the vette firewall... and i could widen the cab metal around the cowl with some relief cuts to some degree; im more worried about having to widen the cab at the A pillars in order to get a wider firewall that doesnt look stupid and that it might get complicated, ie bending side sheet metal and screwing up the doors ability to open etc. probably the easiest way at that point though is to just widen the entire cab by some 2 inches or whatever.

i think as long as i can just widen things in front of the door hinge only and not have it look weird itll be easy, just not sure what the width is at that point. i know the vette firewall is about 59" where the cab would meet it, and that the cab is 58" at its widest point, just not sure how much it tapers, as the widest point is actually behind the doors. this kind of shows:

really i just need a lot of measurements that i dont have in order to think it through... might just go to a hot rod / rat rod show one of these days wiht a tape measure hahahah

Attachments

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Have you considered getting a fiberglass coupe/truck body in white? Saves you a lot of welding and fabrication.

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #426 (Edited)
easiest way is to just commit to the idea. get them both sitting on stand next to each other, and go to town on it.
100%... just that im 3 years away from it likely so for now speculating and e-fabricating is what it is my brotha. but its also worthwhile so i know i end up with the right starting point. you know it took me like 2 years to decide on the 240Z!

Have you considered getting a fiberglass coupe/truck body in white? Saves you a lot of welding and fabrication.
yeah, would also be sweet cause i could get EXACTLY what i wanted style wise; but even though id rather not work with fiberglass and improve my metal skills, they are way more expensive than i thought!

fiberglass: $7k
truck cab: $1k
32-34 coupe: $10-17K ?
35+ coupe: $2-3k

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
also, posted on tha gram but... something finally broke! i was excited to finally get to wrench on it... cept i had a spare fan and clutch so it took like 10 minutes :unamused:

however, i am curious if this means my water pump wasnt spinning the whole time after this got stuck... oh well everything seems ok :lol: shoulda ****ing just switched to a efan setup when i last set this up. i definitely would have now if i didnt have the parts already sitting there.

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
i had one on for a while, and would keep it if it wasnt such a b!tch, but it keeps temp just fine without. problem is fitment is a b!tch cause its a larger 280 fan and smaller 240 radiator with hoses in places that get in the way. installing/removing it was a B!TCH and needed to happen way too often

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
A bitch it may be, but it's a pretty vital piece. That fan isn't doing much without it.

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
very true, but recall this car didnt come with one from the factory. i would be more worried about it if i ever drove in stop and go, but im rarely even at a light in this thing. and when those rare occasions are longer than expected it easily cools back down when the tstat opens, you can watch it. part being the lowly plus side of having 500 pounds of iron up front i guess.

still, electric fan setup is very much in the plans, but prob not going to happen before it goes in storage

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
some people would say it's stupid to buy a new set of wheels just to mount some slicks for one last track day before throwing the thing in a barn for 2-3 years. fvck those people

these popped up on craigslist :D for as cheap and relatively hokie upgrade (downgrade?) as they are, I am wayyyy too excited :D :D

Attachments

·
Registered
!999 Impreza RS
15 Posts
Beautiful car! I had one that I had to get rid of sadly. Here is the blog I had going while I was working on it. I only got to drive it once. Unless you include rolling in it down the street when I got it off the truck. lol thrilling car though.

Project S30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
!999 Impreza RS
15 Posts
Ah man that's too bad - what happened? Was just worse off than you realized it was?

Yeah, water pump bolt snapped. Went to take off the front cover and oil pump bolt snapped. Just too much to work on in an apartment parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #438

car feels fan-freakin-tastic on hoosiers. super glad to get to use the free set of spec miata takeoffs i picked up last season. and ive been wanting to get a set of bassetts for about as long as ive owned the car and a set just happened to pop up on craigslist. culminating with an unexpected opportunity to go to Nelson Ledges (which is the torn-up, high speed, no rules track around here) this Friday just brought everything together for a nice little hoo-rah before the car goes back in a barn and i go to Norway. this car on hoosiers and those wheels on a dirty backwoods race track is just god damn perfect.

421 - 440 of 445 Posts