Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
You'll get better! You have to believe that. STS is a bitch of a class already with all the mods allowed to the cars. You have the tires, your driving may be good enough to jump you up a few spots, but you just may be at the limits of your car already. If you could, try to have one of the better drivers at your events either ride with you, or take your car out and see what it still has in it. I'm pretty close to doing a swap here that may benefit you, so hang in there! If you're really pinched for upgrades, I have 2 sets of stock RS springs sitting here loose *now*.

Seat time is the key, but the car 'is' part of the equation....

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
In our region, one of our best drivers is now collecting FTD's in a CS Miata. This after jumping from a nationally prepped BSP 'vette and other's cars who he shows what they will do. So, you know that you can pick up at least a couple seconds in driving alone.

For your driving though, you need the car to help you out as much as possible. I'll try to get those springs off as soon as I can, just don't get discouraged. The improvements you make in your driving now will pay bigger dividends when the car is prepped a little more.

Left foot brake and look further ahead....I can't emphasize that enough.;)

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I meant that some drivers can take a car that is normally relagated to mid pack PAX wise and turn it into an absolute rocketship!

Left foot braking is tough to learn. You stab at the brake like it's the clutch and your fillings fall out as your eyes scratch your glasses! It takes alot of mental and physical training to develop a feel for the different pressures applied at a given moment.

The benefits include power being applied as the brakes are being released, a rubberband effect as the releasing brakes let the car shoot forward with the energy bound up by the gas being applied so much sooner. Also entering a breaking area, there is no pause between accellerating to the turn and braking for the turn. The small increments of time you save shifting your foot between pedals is translated into your time as it grows to be substantial over the typical autocross course.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Left foot braking works really good in slaloms because it concentrates the weight on the tires doing the most work, while the right foot is contantly modulated to hold the faster speed through the cones.

It's also very useful for setting the car into a turn while still powering through it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.