Here is the ECU cover right out of the mold and un trimmed. It came out pretty much how I expected with all the bridging, but it still looks badass and saves 1.5 lbs over the steel one(Steel weighs 1 lb 13.3 oz and the carbon one is 5.7 oz).
Resin build up in the bridged areas and a few bubbles
More track day prep. My Falken RT615k+ were down the the wear bars. They wouldn't make it two track days so new tires were in order. I wanted to try the new Falken Rt660 but it was on backorder. I heard good things about the Nankang AR-1s. R Comp USA carries them here local and had them on stock, so I went with them.
48.5 LBS isnt too bad for a 18x9.5 with tire.
First impressions on the test drive is they have super grip but they are loud as offroad truck tires. Best suited for track use.
Past weekend did back to back track days at Big Willow(WSIR) and Button Willow 13CW with the wife and her bugeye on Saturday and Sunday respectively.
Set a new personal best on both days, 1:33.9 for Big Willow and 2:03.6 for BW 13CW. I unfortunately don't have any video as i forgot my memory cards for the go pros
Can somebody please get this Evo out of my way?!
Still rocking that OG RS25 License plate frame!
Saturday was awesome because it was a private track day hosted by a Ford GT500 group, we got invited by one of our friends with a GT500. Tons of track time(no traffic in the advanced group I was in) and I paid to have instruction from a professional driver who they had come out to the track. His name is Billy Johnson, he was one of Ford's test drivers for developing the GT500 and he also raced Ford GTs for the Ford Chip Ganassi Team in 2016-2019. Super awesome guy who was super helpful and taught me a lot. He also loved my car, he said he's got a soft spot for 90's JDM cars and he wants to get a GC(now even more after driving mine for a few laps!). It was amazing sitting shotgun when he was doing his laps in my car. The best way I can describe it is he made the car dance. So cool!
Packed it up to head out to Buttonwillow the next day.
The only hickup was I got a check engine light at the end of the last session on Sat which turned out to be front o2 sensor heater. I investigated and it turned out that the wire for the front o2 got loose and the connector touched the turbo and melted a bit and cut the o2 heater wire. No big deal, was still able to race the next day at buttonwillow.
Special thanks to Ayanamieve for letting me borrow his scan tool to figure out what my code was on my car. He was out racing his beautify GC coupe on sat at button willow and stayed the night to hang out for a bit on Sunday.
I ended up only doing one session as I beat my PB first session out and was pretty exhausted at this point. My wife had an issue with her brakes on her car(looks like the master cyl went bad while she was out on track! Luckily she was able to keep control of the car and didn't lose brakes completely. She was able to get it back to the pit and that was it for the day for her car. She still wanted to race so I let her take my car out for her next session.
In exchange for making some pre preg autoclave cure parts for Bakemono he let me borrow one of his WRC handbrake molds. I was able to get enough 4x4 twill weave prepreg scrap to make a handbrake(The GC interior carbon bits made by prodrive were all 4x4 weave).
Laying up the part:
All 6 plys layed up and debulked
Both sides bagged and ready to be cured
Parts cured, waiting to be demolded:
Not to shabby on aligning the weave on both halves when I layed it up:
Just about ready to bond both halves, still needs some adjustments in trimming in a couple spots (taped together to check fit up)
I also have some more carbon updates. My wife was able to get me a carbon roof from Aerosim Research for my birthday. Steve had a roof in stock that had a small crack from demolding but since I want to paint it anyway and I have been working with composites fixing it was no problem.
I'm not looking forward to the installation of this but it will be cool once its done.
This might be of intrest to some of you guys but I tested out making a carbon coupe door sills. I think they came out awesome and I think i'll be making a small productuon run of these if there is interst. I was thinking of making about 50 sets with a price point of $400. They would be dry carbon with the edge seal and the clips to install them.