Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 1742 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
whats up dave!!! its chris, big bernys brother; i joined this forum a long time ago and this is my first post! YOUR CAR IS BEAUTIFUL DUDE!!! congrats and seriously, you did a hell of a job!

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,169 Posts
Not sure if you posted this already but how much did it cost you to wrap your car?

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs
353 Posts
Nice swap. I bet the FWD L never thought it would be so cool. Did you ever get your hvac controls red? Also are you using an 04 or 05 sti cluster? I grabbed an 05 sti cluster because I read that 04/05 would have the push button Ill1 -> ILL5, but that isn't the case. So I can't really dim it right now. I was playing around with my buddies 05 controls, and when turns the dimmer on column switch they dim and the gauge display goes between ILL1 -> ILL5. So I'm thinking I need 05/06/07 switches and I could make it work. But I'm not sure if they will fit on my steering column or not.

This is my gauge setup

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
whats up dave!!! its chris, big bernys brother; i joined this forum a long time ago and this is my first post! YOUR CAR IS BEAUTIFUL DUDE!!! congrats and seriously, you did a hell of a job!
Thanks man! It has been a lot of work but it pays off in the end :) There is still a lot I want to do!

Not sure if you posted this already but how much did it cost you to wrap your car?
The wrap I did myself with the help of my friend over at 7L Autosport(which I recently started working for) 7L Autosport offers full vinyl wraps. They cost around 2000-2500(that included material and labor) depending on the size of the car. Its a lot of prep work everything has to be perfectly clean(which is harder on an older car) if its not cleaned properly the chances of the wrap pealing up is very high. When done correctly it will last along time.

Nice swap. I bet the FWD L never thought it would be so cool. Did you ever get your hvac controls red? Also are you using an 04 or 05 sti cluster? I grabbed an 05 sti cluster because I read that 04/05 would have the push button Ill1 -> ILL5, but that isn't the case. So I can't really dim it right now. I was playing around with my buddies 05 controls, and when turns the dimmer on column switch they dim and the gauge display goes between ILL1 -> ILL5. So I'm thinking I need 05/06/07 switches and I could make it work. But I'm not sure if they will fit on my steering column or not.
Nice! I like how you have the RS bezel shaped so it clears the tach, I haven't gotten mine quite right yet and it still blocks it slightly. My cluster is a JDM version 8 cluster(that corresponds to the 04/05 USDM model year) more specifically an 04 model year version 8 because the 3 green plugs didn't need to be modified and I have the dimming on the cluster odo/shift light stalks not the dimmer stalk on the column. To make your cluster dim you run a wire to the stalk on the column and then it will work(you will lose the ability to dim the rest of the interior lights tho.) there is info on this in the giant sti cluster swap thread on nasioc. I also converted the HVAC to red LEDs, I'm not happy with it though because its rather dim, I want to re-do it and remove the light pipes and use LEDs that point at the face of the HVAC rather than into the light pipes, that should make it brighter. The only other piece I haven't been able to change is the Fog light switch you cant really scrape the green coloring off the back of the switch window without going though to the front side ruining the switch window.

Awesome pics man! I can't get enough of that color.
Thanks! Yeah its an awesome color, everybody that sees the car in person is shocked when I tell them that it is a vinyl wrap and not paint. I'll try to get a close up pic of the metallic flake in the vinyl.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nice! I like how you have the RS bezel shaped so it clears the tach, I haven't gotten mine quite right yet and it still blocks it slightly. My cluster is a JDM version 8 cluster(that corresponds to the 04/05 USDM model year) more specifically an 04 model year version 8 because the 3 green plugs didn't need to be modified and I have the dimming on the cluster odo/shift light stalks not the dimmer stalk on the column. To make your cluster dim you run a wire to the stalk on the column and then it will work(you will lose the ability to dim the rest of the interior lights tho.) there is info on this in the giant sti cluster swap thread on nasioc. I also converted the HVAC to red LEDs, I'm not happy with it though because its rather dim, I want to re-do it and remove the light pipes and use LEDs that point at the face of the HVAC rather than into the light pipes, that should make it brighter. The only other piece I haven't been able to change is the Fog light switch you cant really scrape the green coloring off the back of the switch window without going though to the front side ruining the switch window.
Yeah I read through that entire thread a while ago. I did what they said too. I cut the 2 wires going to my dimmer switch, and ran them to the cluster. My cluster does dim but its not a real big change from brightest to darkest. My buddies 05 sti dims a lot more, and when it dims the actualy cluster goes through ILL1-ILL5. Mine doesn't do that. I'll probably double-check my wiring, maybe I screwed something up. I'm sure it's all voltage controlled, maybe the newer switches have a different ohm range. I should have bought an 04. I really want my hvac controls red. Get yours working right and I'll send you mine:p I actually bought a 2nd hvac unit to mess with, but haven't started.

I used a heat gun to get my bezel to clear the tach. I also did some fiberglass work on the bottom 2 corners. I have pics of every step in my build thread.

- Charlie

·
Registered
98 Subaru Impreza RS coupe RBP
325 Posts
your car is beautiful love the work and the vinyl wrap is clever!

p.s. if you ever decide to sell that bakemono wing I WANT!

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
your car is beautiful love the work and the vinyl wrap is clever!

p.s. if you ever decide to sell that bakemono wing I WANT!
Thanks! I am really pleased with how it turned out, I really like the color. As for the bakemono 22b rep, I really like it so I doubt I'm ever gonna sell it unless I fine a genuine 22B spoiler. If I do ever decide to sell you have first dibs :lol:

*Update*

I sold my 05 sti seats and picked up a set of version 7 STi front seats. They are so much more comfortable and hold me in way better than the US STi seats that are designed for fat Americans.

I will be picking up a drivers seat from an 02 WRX and swapping the base so my drivers seat will have the height adjustment. I also am on the look out for some RS or late model L front seats so I can swap the seat rails on to these seats so they sit low like stock RS seats.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would just go with RS brackets to lower it. I messed around with a bugeye drivers seat and height adjustability but it's not the same. The jdm drivers seat has a metal flat pan specific for the foam bottom. The us drivers seat has a steel tub frame that is specific to the us foam seat. While yes you can put the jdm foam on the us frame and make it work and kind of look cool, the feel is not the same. The jdm pan has a lip on the sides that hug you. WHen you use the US frame that lip is not there and you can grap right ahold of the chunk of foam on each side of your leg and squish it right down. There is no support. I went back to the jdm pan because I was not happy with the US one.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Its been a while since I have updated this so here is what I have done to the car recently.

Got a set of version 6 rear spats for Christmas from my brother. Wrapped them in blue, as well as wrapped the side skirts. Now the bottom of the car flows with the front lip. I also installed a GReddy Evo exhaust on the car(nice and quiet when I want but a still a nice sound)

I have always loved the WRC livery, so I'll be putting the decals on here as soon as they are finished being cut.

161 - 180 of 1742 Posts