Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1761 - 1780 of 1795 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,761
The whole COVID situation kinda killed the subie challenge events for the year. But, I have signed up for two back to back track days on the 17th & 18th of this month at Big Willow then buttonwilllow 13CW. I did get laid off from work for like 4 months but I'm back in the Composites Dept now which is nice since its got A/C(working in the shop before had no climate control). One other perk is I can make some of my own composite parts. So I figured why not make some of the stamped steel parts into carbon parts(You can layup on the back side of the steel part and use it as a mold).

So far I have the fuel tank access covers(saves a 1/2 pound over the steel ones) :

And the GC Alternator belt cover/ A/C compressor belt cover:

Not really too happy with the Alt belt cover(had some issues with the vacuum bag bridging on the hooked part on the left and the steel mold needs some work since Ihad to drill out some spot welds that had a steel doubler on the back side)

Reactions: WRickX

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,763
Other parts I am planning on making are the ECU cover plate, both 98 RS Fan shrouds, and the GReddy radiator shroud.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Dood, with skills like that you could be working for yourself! Are you considering mass producing any of these or maybe making some members only items?

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,766
Dood, with skills like that you could be working for yourself! Are you considering mass producing any of these or maybe making some members only items?
Is that like a only fans for RS25 🤣

I did think about making more of the parts I make for my car and selling them. I guess it depends on how much demand there is and if people are willing to pay a price that makes it worth it to me to make them.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Very pretty...

One thing with making it for other people is cost.
Everybody wants one until they find out the price.
Not many realize the amount of work and cost of materials that go into making something not-so-simple like the fuel pump cover.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
Very pretty...

One thing with making it for other people is cost.
Everybody wants one until they find out the price.
Not many realize the amount of work and cost of materials that go into making something not-so-simple like the fuel pump cover.
I know exactly what you're saying, I've seen that a bunch on the SVX forums unfortunately. I just figure it can't hurt to ask.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,769
I know exactly what you're saying, I've seen that a bunch on the SVX forums unfortunately. I just figure it can't hurt to ask.
That being said, I do have two extra sets of fuel tank covers if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,770
Doing some track prep as next weekend is gonna be a double header; 17th at WSIR with a private event hosted by a Shelby Mustang club and then Buttonwillow 13CW on the 18th with soeed ventures.

Checked to see how much life I have left on the pads and I'm pleasantly surprised that its still over 50% with 8 track days on them. I'm either not driving fast enough or they are way overkill for the application(prob both). The pad does get a bit of a lip at the top as its not a perfect fit for the rotor but its wearing even so I don't see it being a problem.

Ti Pad shims are doing they job well too judging from the coloration of the Ti they have been getting pretty hot.

Rotors are starting to get some heat cracks but thats pretty normal too.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,771
Also mandatory corn fuel gas station photos

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,772
Carbon fiber update too, Trey at Bakemono let me borrow his mold for the carbon WRC Handbrake in exchange for me making him a prepreg autoclave cure WRC roof vent.
The first vent flap I made came out kinda meh due to me not having the material bridging in the corners which caused resin build up. There was some bubbles in the mold under the gelcoat that showed up in the part under autoclave pressure(gonna have to fill them with high temp filler and make another part.) But here is some photos anyway of the meh part.

Lay up & vac bagged waiting to be cured

Cured still in the mold

Popped out

Trimmed

and resin build up :cautious:

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,773
On Friday I did the layup on the Stamped steel ECU cover as a mold. I'm pretty sure there will be some resin build up on some of the corners of this part too as I was having a lot of trouble getting the material to no bridge in the recesses(and there is a lot of them!). I'm still learning how to do proper lay up as I haven't really done much composites work before. I'll cure it on monday and see how it comes out.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
806 Posts
Nice! Love the remade lightweight parts that were stamped steel before. Always wanted to do stuff like that. Also, the car looks great as usual.

·
Registered
2.5RS, STI, BRZ, ZL1 vert, X5D
222 Posts
On Friday I did the layup on the Stamped steel ECU cover as a mold. I'm pretty sure there will be some resin build up on some of the corners of this part too as I was having a lot of trouble getting the material to no bridge in the recesses(and there is a lot of them!). I'm still learning how to do proper lay up as I haven't really done much composites work before. I'll cure it on monday and see how it comes out.
I'd be interested in buying your 'seconds' too if you choose to redo it.. I don't mind minor cosmetic issues with a part that will be under the carpet.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Might want to rethink your oil filter.
The blue one is on the level of Fram Garbage version, with cardboard end caps.

Doing some track prep as next weekend is gonna be a double header; 17th at WSIR with a private event hosted by a Shelby Mustang club and then Buttonwillow 13CW on the 18th with soeed ventures.

1761 - 1780 of 1795 Posts