Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 1742 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Perfect! I love the car man! Nice job.
Thanks! Your car is awesome too, RBP FTW!

do you have a DIY for the head lights? i am interested. i looked around and found little info on this.
Not exactly for the GC but there is a good write up for the Bugeye which is pretty similar.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pdf/trs_tech/FX-R_Projector_Retrofit.pdf

The GC is a bit more difficult than the Bugeye since its a smaller housing so you have to be more precise with projector mounting(Just take your time cutting, dont cut too much). On the GC reflector you have to cut out the bottom top and the rear to fit a bixexon projector.

I sealed the rear of the housing with a 4in ABS pipe and 4 in rubber pipe cap. I'll post some pics of the rear of the retrofit.

nice work
Thanks! It has been a project, still a bunch more I'd like to do to it. I want to do the aerosim widebody someday.

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '03 WRX Wgn
3,587 Posts
Ah I didn't realize he did it himself. Cool stuff, though my car has a lot of dings and imperfections, so if I vinyl, from what I've read, those imperfections become more obvious :(

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
My car has a lot of dents and dings too. They are not anymore noticeable than with paint. However if you get a matte color wrap then it actually hides the dents better than paint. You see dents due to the reflective surface in the clear coat of paint.

I actually work over at 7L Autosport now and we charge around $2400 for the materials and the labor for a full wrap. Its a lot of work, removing trim and tons of cleaning. My coworker and I have been professionally trained by one of the best vinyl application guys in the world.

Ah I didn't realize he did it himself. Cool stuff, though my car has a lot of dings and imperfections, so if I vinyl, from what I've read, those imperfections become more obvious :(

·
Registered
99/06 WRSX
1,046 Posts
Just got back from the State Ref, my swap is 100% CA smog legit! :banana:

Awesome! Congrats!

If you don't mind, how about a bit of a write up on how the process went for you? What you needed to prepare, any issues you had, how to go about actually getting the car Reffed. I'm extremely curious.

I need to Ref my car as well, by October since that's when my next smog is due.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Awesome! Congrats!

If you don't mind, how about a bit of a write up on how the process went for you? What you needed to prepare, any issues you had, how to go about actually getting the car Reffed. I'm extremely curious.

I need to Ref my car as well, by October since that's when my next smog is due.
Yeah no problem.

To pass the State Ref/get your sticker to be able to legally smog the car you have to have all of their criteria met.

The engine that you are swapping into the car has to be newer or the same year as the car getting swapped. It also has to be the same vehicle type. for example truck engines are not allowed in passenger cars.

All of the emissions equipment from the new motor must be swapped over to the car.

In the case of my motor I added all the smog equipment for an 02 WRX. Headers, uppipe(with cat), td04 turbo, US WRX Downpipe and stock catback.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
As for the the inspection process the tech just asked a bunch of questions like how many cats are there, how many o2 sensors(and if they had anything tapped into them I had a wideband AFR gauge that was installed but no sensor plugged in). Looked over the engine, checked that the CARB number matched the new engine I have in the car. Last was a smog test and that was pretty much it. It only cost me $8.25 for the smog check transmittal fee.

As long as the motor is stock(or any mods have a CARB sticker) and all the smog stuff is there you will pass no problem. Just make sure all the OBDII readiness monitors are all flagged as ready(otherwise you wont pass the smog test)

·
IwannadrivelikeBunta
'98 RSTi, '10 LGT, '03 WRX Wgn
3,587 Posts
With the vinyl wrap, is there any special steps to wash the car? Can you take it to a car wash or does it have to be washed by hand? Or do you have to wash it more often or less?

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
With the vinyl wrap, is there any special steps to wash the car? Can you take it to a car wash or does it have to be washed by hand? Or do you have to wash it more often or less?
You pretty much wash it normally, I wouldn't really recommend pressure washing it as that could potentially lift the wrap. I like to hand wash the car anyway wrap or not, the automated ones can mess up your paint/wrap. The wrap will last longer if you wash it regularly(same thing with paint, if you leave bird crap and dirt on paint for long periods of time it will cause damage)

I haven't tried to wax the wrap, I may test it on a small piece of extra film I have left over.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
01 2.5RS
2,115 Posts
Hey David, do you have any carbon wrap leftover? I wanna wrap my carbon vis hood with it, might make it look better.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Hey David, do you have any carbon wrap leftover? I wanna wrap my carbon vis hood with it, might make it look better.
Unfortunately not enough for a full hood. I have plenty if you want a bright blue metallic hood :lol:

Moarrrrr picsss
Yeah I need to take some more pics. I dont think I have any with my new custom license plate that finally came in.

Very nice swap!
Thanks! There is still so much I want to do.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Got some more pics at 7L Autosport's new shop.

I also deciced to get rid of the rest of the fake carbon and wrap it to match it to the rest of the car. I still need to do the side skirts...

141 - 160 of 1742 Posts