Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 80 of 1745 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Nice, def worth doing all that. That twin scroll should be fun in auto-cross. :D
Yeah, I'm hoping so. I have heard that there is almost no lag, transient boost response is great on the twin scrolls. we'll see.

Plus I have been driving my 1.8L powered L and a 3 cylinder geo metro(both have less than 100 hp LOL) for the past few months so once the engine is in my L it will feel like the fastest car in the world.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
My engine got here last Friday I have made some progress so I figure why not update my journal!

I have stripped the whole interior and started the install of the freshly merged 99 rs to 02 wrx harness(with AVCS and gc cluster plugs) from IWIRE.

I was always horrified at peoples pics of the wiring when they are doing a swap because of how intimidating hooking everything up looks. Now that I am going though it its not that bad because almost everything can only plug in one place.

Rear harness being installed:

I noticed that there was a scuff on the lower left timing cover of my EJ207 when it got here but I didn't think that it was that big of a deal since it was not cracked:

I removed the timing covers to verify cam timing on my motor and install my Tomioka Racing Timing Belt guide that I won at subiefest like 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
When I was checking cam timing I found this:
:unamused:

:unamused:

:unamused::unamused:

It is just a small chip and no cracks. After talking to my friend who is a tech at Puente Hills Subaru I decided to just replace the cam gear just to be safe. I also contacted the vendor I got the engine from to file a claim with the shipping company so I could be reimbursed for the cost of the cam gear. It was only $100 for the cam gear(and glendale subaru had one in stock), it would really suck it the cam gear later cracked and ruined my new motor.

Swapping the cam gear was easier that I thought it would be, I was always scared to do a timing belt on a DOHC suby. I followed Meatys timing belt changing guide on nasioc and it was pretty easy. After buttoning up the timing belt after the cam gear change I dropped the EJ207 in its new home:

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
01 2.5RS
2,115 Posts
How the hell did the cam gear get scuffed like that if the timing belt cover was on and wasn't cracked?

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
wow i really wish i could have helped out, but im so busy with work lately. nice work man

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So when are we starting this thing up???
Hopefully soon. I need a few more parts, GD throttle cable(My stock DP gets here in the 13th), and various hoses.

How the hell did the cam gear get scuffed like that if the timing belt cover was on and wasn't cracked?
I know! that's what I said. That's why I didn't think much of it when the UPS guy dropped it off. Glad I checked the timing tho because I wouldn't want that gear to assplode later on. The gear actually has a chip taken out of it. I found the broken off piece chilling in the bottom of the timing cover.

wow i really wish i could have helped out, but im so busy with work lately. nice work man
No worries, most of it hasn't been too bad, getting the wiring all sorted was the biggest challenge. I'm sure you know what I mean since you had to rewire your whole car.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Just thought I'd update the journal. Started the engine for the first time tuesday. It fired right up after I remembered to plug in the STi loom into the fuel pump.

I'd like to thank Iwire for the awesome merge and for the help with various plugs and where they go. So far everything is working perfect wiring wise. IWire FTW!:banana:

Yesterday and today I spent neatening up wiring in the engine bay and in the dash section. Also got the keyless entry module wired up. 95 Impreza L with keyless entry FTW!

I still need to adjust the tie rods since they are way too long since the rack is off a GD STi, start reassembling the front end(fenders bumper, lights), my USDM sti cat back is too short for my JDM downpipe so I bought an adapter pipe from a member here.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Well everything motor wise is together, and I think all the bugs have been worked out. I'm just waiting for the car to be tuned. The eTune wasnt working for me so I deciced to take it to have it tuned in person. I cant wait to get my car back from the tuner.

In the mean time I bought a 22b adjustable spoiler from bakemono that I will be installing once I get my car back.

Here is another engine bay shot with the engine 100% installed.

·
Registered
99 V5 STI RA Ltd. #0450/1000
2,978 Posts
i somewhat did the same extact thing to my gc8... but i dropped in a V8 Spec C motor. if you can see the turbo number and if it says VF36.. then you have a Spec C motor. if it isn't a Spec C motor then it would say VF37.

how did it feel before you dropped it off with the tuner? mine isn't tuned yet but it is running at 1.4 bar (20psi) of boost. my car has been running like this for like 4 months now. no knock, no anything... ran a few gymkhana events with it.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
i somewhat did the same extact thing to my gc8... but i dropped in a V8 Spec C motor. if you can see the turbo number and if it says VF36.. then you have a Spec C motor. if it isn't a Spec C motor then it would say VF37.

how did it feel before you dropped it off with the tuner? mine isn't tuned yet but it is running at 1.4 bar (20psi) of boost. my car has been running like this for like 4 months now. no knock, no anything... ran a few gymkhana events with it.
Its defiantly a regular version 8 sti as I have a vf37 unfortunately. I never got on it. We have crap gas here in California. I think the ej207s require 98 RON or better which is about 94 AKI. We only have 91 AKI here available at the pump(unless you find a station that sells race gas 100 AKI at ~$8 a gallon) so I'm sure it would be knocking tons so a tune was pretty much mandatory for me.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So my car was no able to be tuned yet because my DCCD controller was causing the car to lean out because the MAF voltage would drop when the DCCD went to lock.

Big thanks to Brian at IWire, he figured out the problem. For some reason the DCCDPro was causing interference when it was grounded to the engine ground. Once we moved the DCCDPro to a chassis ground all was well. IWire FTW!:banana:

I will be bringing the car back to the tuner on Friday. I cant wait to drive it once its done being tuned.

I also took the car to a truck scale today to see how much she weighs post swap:

So that's 2900 LBS with a complete STi swap and half a tank of gas. I am missing one door card and the dash but that should be evened out when I get my carbon fiber hood.

·
Registered
ver8 full swap in 95L
172 Posts
Bah dave your thread is always nicer than mine. You have a nicer camera =[ Droid camera fail for me =[

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
^ Thanks Jimmy! You just have to update yours more frequently.

I just realized I don't have any pics of my new spoiler, gotta fix that.

I also decided to DiNOC wrap my hood scoop and vents because fake carbon fiber is a better look than sunburned pealing mismatched green paint.

I also wrapped my Type RA roof vent and fuel door since they were mismatched color. I'll post up some pics of them later. I am throwing around the idea of wrapping the whole car myself in the mean time till I can save up for a decent paint job. I'm thinking a satin black.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Took my car out to an autox this past sunday fro the first time with the swap. It was tons of fun, I do need some better rubber tho, my sumitomo htr-z III's are not cutting it. I'll be ordering some Dunlop Star Specs here very soon.

Here are some shots from the day:

I like this pic, its got me and my friend Jimmy who has the same swap as me in the same year L. This was his first autox with the swap completed in his car too.

His build thread can be found here: Project from LLLLLLLLLLL

61 - 80 of 1745 Posts