Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo I went off roading in some mud, and on the way home I threw a CEL. This didnt surprise me because it often goes on and off due to my "idle air intake" ... but then i realized that after 67 miles i was almost down to 3/4 tank, which was never an issue with the CEL on before. Ended up putting 3.8 gallons in the tank, which worked out to 18.5mpg ... anyone got an idea what might be causing this? Gotta go to get the code checked obviously.

·
James incognito
Black 06 STi & 07 Wagon
324 Posts
I get 18 mpg in town ....

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Whenever you get a CEL, your gas mileage will go down, sometimes drastically... no matter what the code is. It also depends on how you drive. If you're offroading, you're definitely not going to get the gas mileage you would on normal roads under normal driving conditions, driving like a grandma.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
correction: i filled up after off roading and the 66 miles was all highway doing 55-70

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Whenever you get a CEL, your gas mileage will go down, sometimes drastically... no matter what the code is. It also depends on how you drive. If you're offroading, you're definitely not going to get the gas mileage you would on normal roads under normal driving conditions, driving like a grandma.
That's freaking stupid when you have some evap code for the gas tank not staying pressurized. I hate obd2

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well ill get it checked asap and let you guys know what it was ... hopefully its nothing serious because when i washed the mud off my car today and i saw a "rainbow" film in some of puddles

·
Registered
00 2.5RS BRP
687 Posts

is this true if you clear it?

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
correction: i filled up after off roading and the 66 miles was all highway doing 55-70
I just tested my 2.2 Auto for the first time on the highway. I got 25MPG going about 60-65 for roughly 70 miles plus some city driving. Not bad. I used to only do city driving for like two years, best I could muster there was 22 MPG.

I probably could have gotten better if I was going about 50 or so, but you do have to go at least the speed limit, which was 65. Even at 65, there were still people passing me left and right.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah before this i kept track and i was doing an avg of around 25 mpg i think, thats why i noticed the difference so fast

dojoep - i think i read that if you clear the code it fixes the gas consumption issue

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
If you have a CEL, that's clearly your problem! Reset the ECU and see if that does the trick, if not, go down to autozone and use their tool to diagnose and possibly clear the code. I had one a little bit ago, just a misfire thing and an idle issue from my new intake. Reset it and it runs great.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well i was going to tell everyone what code i had, but it went away the next day (after i washed my car - if that has anything to do with it)

went to the dealership and they said everything looked fine, just the intake was setting it off so they cleared the code

1 - 13 of 13 Posts