Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering upgrading my 13mm bar to a 17mm WRX wagon bar. Will this alone have a noticeable effect on body roll, or do I need to add a bigger rear bar and upgrade the front bar also?

I'd like to keep the suspension fairly independent for dirt runs, and don't want to induce snap oversteer. No track or autox, just zippy strret driving.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 22-24 adjustable sway bar from M2 on my WRX wagon, set in the middle "hole." The car is great at low speed handling and it's really easy to adjust attitude mid corner. However, at high speeds, the rear end is a little twitchy. I kinda enjoy oversteer, so it's perfect for me. I did get black flagged at a local open track day recently for "driving the car sideways through the corners," though, so oversteer at your own risk. Yeah, I've spun a few times. You may not want to go as big as I did, but IMHO anything under 20 mm really won't make the changes you want.
Nice to get some replies back in this thread about swaybars - even if a few other wagon type topics got stirred in. ;)

I installed the 17mm bar last night, and it does make a difference. Noticably flatter in corners, but still steady on rough bumpy curves - the suspension still has that independent feel. Also can't induce oversteer, even on wet pavement. Very stable on the highway. I'll stick with this for now. I'm on to upgrading to WRX brakes all around next.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wrx Brakes F&R was one of my first mods to my MY97 L wagon, made a huge differance. I recommend you go to SS-brake lines during the conversion. SS-brake lines combined with those brakes and our single stage booster make for a great pedal feel.
I just bought a set of 4 used WRX brakes, including 4 hubs. So I have the basic parts coming soon to upgrade rear drum to discs. That sounds like a fairly major job - it requires pulling out the seats, and peeling back the carpet, in order to hook up the new emergency brake. I'm not sure if I'm ready to do this on a new car. Maybe in a year or two once it's acquired a few rattles squeeks and dents. For now I might just replace my front brakes with the larger WRX ones.

Glad the 17 mm worked out, just watch that when you get used to it, you'll probably want to go a little bigger, maybe to 20mm.
If I stuck to paved roads I might be tempted, and I'd get an adjustable RSB at that point. I do like flying along on potholed rutted backroads, so I will want to preserve the independent nature of the suspension for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.