Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering upgrading my 13mm bar to a 17mm WRX wagon bar. Will this alone have a noticeable effect on body roll, or do I need to add a bigger rear bar and upgrade the front bar also?

I'd like to keep the suspension fairly independent for dirt runs, and don't want to induce snap oversteer. No track or autox, just zippy strret driving.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a 98 OBS wagon, and just put on a Whiteline 18-20-22 mm adjustable rear bar. I installed it about 2 months ago and have it on the 18 mm setting.

I really like a tight feeling car, and for me the 18 is just not enough. I will probably boost it up to the 20 mm setting, then add a front strut tower brace. I think that will be my choice for a nice tight "roll-free" setup without going to oversteer.

I'm not using it for autox, just some quick street and hiway handling.

·
Registered
2006 BP5 Satin White
93 Posts
I was thinking of adding upper and lower strut braces in the rear and the lower frame brace in the front. All I have is the front strut brace. I desperately need to add a nice thick sway bar in the rear, and some lowered Progressive Rate springs. Anyone know where I can find the springs? All I seem to find are either lowering springs, or Progressive, but not both. The Eibach springs don't do anything for my car unless I cut them, which renders them useless. I also want to stay away from those cheap coilover kits. Has anyone tried the MRT Super Low springs??

·
Registered
747 Posts
subyfanatic, what car do you have? WRX wagon or GF chassis wagon? Mike at SPD sells wagon specific springs. I'm sure there are others as well. Why on earth would you cut a set of Eibach springs?

- Trent

·
Registered
169 Posts
Trent, have you ever heard of a Subaru Legacy SUS Sedan? Saw one at the dealers today, nobody could really explain what SUS meant, but that was the designation on the rear of the car.

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS
563 Posts
Hey Trent, whats the SPD website or what's Mike's email addy?
Also does anyone on here know where I can find an in stock rear strut bar??? Pretty much everyone I talk to doesn't have one.

-Joe

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've learned a little more about it. this particular car is a 30th anniversary edition. It's really kind of neat. Basically a Legacy Outback without the attic in the back. Runs a lot quicker without the extra weight.

But it also has a little more "street growl" to it. The trunk really is huge, if you can imagine all the room of the wagon turned into a trunk. If I get it, I'll probably put a set of Dunlop p5000's on it, go with a 55 series or so, that should drop it a little bit. Then I'll have to find ways to drop the height a bit. Look for some cosmetic stuff, etc.

It does need paint on the gray portion of the bottom, I guess the former owner parked by feel or sound.

·
Registered
MY95 Impreza L Wagon
423 Posts
SUS The Real Story

The SUS is a Subaru of New England special edition car. Ernie Bock the owner of SNE created the car because he wanted and Outback Sedan. It is due to this car that the Outback Sedan exists today. The cars actually are Legacy GT sedans. Because the were port made cars not factory cars they do not exhist in any formal sense such as Kelly blue book, NADA, or other sorces. I believe MY97 was the first year of Ernies car and then with the release of the new body style Subaru offically relased the car as the Outback Sedan. Ernie was also the once the made Subaru produce only AWD car in America. He refused to take any front wheel drive cars in his New England order for the MY95 model year. The following year Subaru followed suit and no longer brought front wheel drive cars to the states.
Joshua

·
Registered
169 Posts
Whatever ole Ernie did to get this car, I'd like to thank him. It being a GT explains a few things, like the sound and the acceleration. It is definitely quicker than my wife's MY00 Outback LTD wagon, even after I put the K&N on hers.

I've got some cosmetics to take care of, the former owner apparently liked to hit things with the bumpers, blackout windows will probably be the first item changed, after the tires. After that I don't know what I'll do with it. It's awfully clean now and I'm not sure what it really needs. The 30th anniversary badge is right where side markers could go, so I may not even want to put them on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 22-24 adjustable sway bar from M2 on my WRX wagon, set in the middle "hole." The car is great at low speed handling and it's really easy to adjust attitude mid corner. However, at high speeds, the rear end is a little twitchy. I kinda enjoy oversteer, so it's perfect for me. I did get black flagged at a local open track day recently for "driving the car sideways through the corners," though, so oversteer at your own risk. Yeah, I've spun a few times. You may not want to go as big as I did, but IMHO anything under 20 mm really won't make the changes you want.

Only other suspension mods are Ground Control coilovers (Eibach springs w/ KYB AGXs), charcoal P7s w/ 225-45-17 Pilot Sports (no rubbing as the P7s are only 7" wide). Front camber -2*, rear camber -1.5*.

The car currently makes about 270 hp at the wheels on Cobb's dyno (about 100 whp more than stock).

Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
jersey judge said:
Whatever ole Ernie did to get this car, I'd like to thank him. It being a GT explains a few things, like the sound and the acceleration. It is definitely quicker than my wife's MY00 Outback LTD wagon, even after I put the K&N on hers.

I've got some cosmetics to take care of, the former owner apparently liked to hit things with the bumpers, blackout windows will probably be the first item changed, after the tires. After that I don't know what I'll do with it. It's awfully clean now and I'm not sure what it really needs. The 30th anniversary badge is right where side markers could go, so I may not even want to put them on.
'
The SUS was mass produced, but its almost as rare as seeing an RS on the road. I saw a sweet black SUS in NC last weekend. I'd love to get one as a second car...its pretty sweet. Shame they were never available with a 5 speed. I do remember when Subaru of New England brought over 300 as a trial run and sold all of them. I just think it lacked the name recognition as the current model---Outback Sedan. Guess a name means more than you'd think.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I took some pix of it today, and hope to get them on here tonight or tomorrow.

It's really in pretty decent shape. I don't think the paint to take care of the bumpers will be much more than a few hundred bucks, so we'll see what else gets done.

Ron

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 22-24 adjustable sway bar from M2 on my WRX wagon, set in the middle "hole." The car is great at low speed handling and it's really easy to adjust attitude mid corner. However, at high speeds, the rear end is a little twitchy. I kinda enjoy oversteer, so it's perfect for me. I did get black flagged at a local open track day recently for "driving the car sideways through the corners," though, so oversteer at your own risk. Yeah, I've spun a few times. You may not want to go as big as I did, but IMHO anything under 20 mm really won't make the changes you want.
Nice to get some replies back in this thread about swaybars - even if a few other wagon type topics got stirred in. ;)

I installed the 17mm bar last night, and it does make a difference. Noticably flatter in corners, but still steady on rough bumpy curves - the suspension still has that independent feel. Also can't induce oversteer, even on wet pavement. Very stable on the highway. I'll stick with this for now. I'm on to upgrading to WRX brakes all around next.

·
Registered
MY95 Impreza L Wagon
423 Posts
WRX Brakes

Wrx Brakes F&R was one of my first mods to my MY97 L wagon, made a huge differance. I recommend you go to SS-brake lines during the conversion. SS-brake lines combined with those brakes and our single stage booster make for a great pedal feel.
Joshua

·
Registered
169 Posts
Glad the 17 mm worked out, just watch that when you get used to it, you'll probably want to go a little bigger, maybe to 20mm.

Good luck with the brakes, the Goodridge SS lines also make sense.

Ron

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wrx Brakes F&R was one of my first mods to my MY97 L wagon, made a huge differance. I recommend you go to SS-brake lines during the conversion. SS-brake lines combined with those brakes and our single stage booster make for a great pedal feel.
I just bought a set of 4 used WRX brakes, including 4 hubs. So I have the basic parts coming soon to upgrade rear drum to discs. That sounds like a fairly major job - it requires pulling out the seats, and peeling back the carpet, in order to hook up the new emergency brake. I'm not sure if I'm ready to do this on a new car. Maybe in a year or two once it's acquired a few rattles squeeks and dents. For now I might just replace my front brakes with the larger WRX ones.

Glad the 17 mm worked out, just watch that when you get used to it, you'll probably want to go a little bigger, maybe to 20mm.
If I stuck to paved roads I might be tempted, and I'd get an adjustable RSB at that point. I do like flying along on potholed rutted backroads, so I will want to preserve the independent nature of the suspension for now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good and valid points.

The brake job time is estimated at about 3 to 4 hours by a professional auto repair guy used to building all kinds of foreign cars. I don't think I'd try it, and paying him $75 an hour is not a real option.

Enjoy

·
Registered
MY95 Impreza L Wagon
423 Posts
East enough

I did my rears myself and it's really not all that difficult if you follow the directions on Wac's web page. The hardest part is getting the bolts loose. I broke 4, 1/2 drive breaker bars and ended up having to use a grinding wheel to cut bolts off. But the project itself it straight forward and well worth it cosmeticly and performance.
Joshua

1 - 19 of 19 Posts