Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
RS-T
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a set of 04 BBS Sti wheels in gold for my 99 GC8. They are 8" wide, the tires I have are 215/40R/17 Gforce T/A's, does anyone know whether these tires will work with these rims, and if they will rub on a stock CG8. Also, any onf you who have experience with these rims, how much exactly do they weigh, becasue I know my stock RS 'goldies' are 16.5 lbs for a 16" dia. Also, what are your opinions on these wheels, and what is a fair price to pay for them. I need them to clear my 4 pots, so any advice is apreciated.

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
The bolt pattern on those wheels is 5x114, your car is 5x100. They will not work unless you swap hubs from an 05+ STi.

Only the 04 STi's have a 5x100 pattern.

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza L
280 Posts
Those wheels shouldn't fit your 99 GC8 period, unless you did some hub fabbing. The lug pattern on 05+ STi wheels is 5x114. The only USDM year STi wheels that will fit are the 17x7.5 from the 04 Sti.

edit* beat by reebis =)

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS Coupe AW
315 Posts
I don't know the offset for the 8" wide BBS, but 7.5" wide '04 BBS with +53mm offset comes very close to rubbing against the rear strut. Add another 1/4" of width to the inside lip and the wheel will rub for sure unless the '05 BBS has less offset.

·
RS-T
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Sorry I made a typo, they are 04' USDM sti wheels, 5x 100 p.c.d. I have my stock hubs on but I am wondering how much these weigh, and approx. the fair cost for them. I am hoping to improve the acelleration somewhat, with a smaller whell diameter, and less rotating mass, tell me what you think?

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
Thanks for the input. Sorry I made a typo, they are 04' USDM sti wheels, 5x 100 p.c.d. I have my stock hubs on but I am wondering how much these weigh, and approx. the fair cost for them. I am hoping to improve the acelleration somewhat, with a smaller whell diameter, and less rotating mass, tell me what you think?
Well, if you looking to improve acceleration, your going the wrong way. Those wheels are slightly heavier, but more so to the point they will have a larger radius which basically makes your gearing longer. The 215's should be fine as far as rubbing goes.
FWIW, I paid $850 shipped for my set of 04 goldies, but I've seen them go for as high as $1000+ with a decent set of rubber on them. I've also noticed the goldies seem to fetch a higher price than the silvers. They are def the most sought after wheel, especially for us 5x100 guys.

·
RS-T
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your right the radius is larger, but with the tire combonation, the overall height of the tire is 1.1 in. less than the stock 205/55R/16 tires on the RS. This will net about a 5% speedo inaccuracy and effectivley raise the final drive ratio about 5.5%, hopefully increasing acceleration. But as Reebis said, they are heavier so it might net no difference, becasuse of the change in the moment of inertia of the entire tire/rim combo.

·
Registered
1999 Rally Bluuuuuu
1,361 Posts
Those tires should be just fine on your car, but remember they will be rather loud! I have 215-45-17 on my STI wheels and I notice them being loud, and I'm sure that with an even shorter sidewall you'll feel/hear every bump in the road.

·
RS-T
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, i'm thinking I made the wrong decision with the tire size, probably should have gone 225/45R/17 for the best compromise of grip and road noise.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5R-STI
460 Posts
u may want to think about getting coilovers bc rubbing against the strut could be an issue as stated above... mine are factory sti size, 225/45/17 and only rub on hard turning, thats with it lowered about an 1" AND with 05 sti hubs... you shouldnt have much of a rubbing problem at all with the stock rs hubs. i sold a set of silver 05 rims with new tires for $1000, so that should give u a decent estimate on their worth, add about $200 for gold wheels

·
RS-T
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks that helps alot. Do the Sti hubs give you different offset or just a bigger p.c.d. I have heard before that they are more prone to rubbing than the stock RS hubs.

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
Your right the radius is larger, but with the tire combonation, the overall height of the tire is 1.1 in. less than the stock 205/55R/16 tires on the RS. This will net about a 5% speedo inaccuracy and effectivley raise the final drive ratio about 5.5%, hopefully increasing acceleration. But as Reebis said, they are heavier so it might net no difference, becasuse of the change in the moment of inertia of the entire tire/rim combo.
Good point, I didn't do the math for a stock RS tire.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS Coupe AW
315 Posts
225/45R-17 is closest to stock circumference. If you are concerned about rubbing, then you can go with 215/45R-17 since the chance of it rubbing is very low.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
holy necro bump!

Bakemono Imports sells V5/6 replica lips from time to time. Send Trey a PM or search for his threads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts