short ram intake and have a arospeed bomb
muffler only that sounds too loud and choppy
and want to go with a whole exhaust sytem anyway
what exhaust will give me a good power increase yet
have a quieter sportier tone I have been thinking either
Greddy or Tanabe or Apex but Im not familiar with their
sound output. Thanx

#2 ·
Most likely those figures are based on minor mods, like headers/exhaust/intake. The 130 figure is based on that. The Turbo adds another 80 or so HP on something laround 5-6 psi of boost. So thats how you get the 212. As for stock power to the wheels, i hear its like around 100 or so.... or so i've heard.

I hear the Tanabe Racing Medallion series are damn sweet, gives it a nice low deep sound. I'd go with that.

#3 ·
I think the figure is based on HP to the wheels, not the crank... The RS had 165 HP to the crank, and I'm guessing 130 WHP, though I've never seen a dyno of a stock RS. In any case, SCC is stating that at 6psi the RS will be able to churn out 212 hp to the wheels, which would equate to approximately 247hp to the crank, damn good if you ask me!

keith

#4 ·
MRT exhaust... all of the power none of the noise... It's a full header back system including hiflow cat for about $700 (14hp increase on dyno), but you will have to wait... ISR sells them... I have word they will have one soon...

#5 ·
moss said:
I think the figure is based on HP to the wheels, not the crank... The RS had 165 HP to the crank, and I'm guessing 130 WHP, though I've never seen a dyno of a stock RS. In any case, SCC is stating that at 6psi the RS will be able to churn out 212 hp to the wheels, which would equate to approximately 247hp to the crank, damn good if you ask me!

keith
Actually is you do the percentage thing 212 WHP is more like 271 crank hp.

Tats.

#7 ·
Tats said:
Actually is you do the percentage thing 212 WHP is more like 271 crank hp.

Tats.
yea, lose a lot of power for AWD. maybe even more than 271 for crank hp. i remember seeing a dyno of a stock 2.5RS. it dynoed at like 100hp at the wheel.

#9 ·
It depends on the dyno!!! Dynojets typically put the RS at 130, Mustangs at 120, dynapacks at 100-110. Compare apples to apples. If a manufacturer claims "dyno tested X hp" ask them what a stock car did on THE SAME DYNO. If they cannot provide that info then find another shop with the same brand and model. The general consensus is the RS makes 120-ish hp to all 4 wheels stock.

BTW, anyone who claims crank hp numbers is flat out guessing. You cannot accurately calculate crank hp based on % or number difference. You must put an engine on an engine dyno to get crank hp (or more accurately brake horsepower, i.e. on an engine brake).

#11 ·
Ugh :rolleyes: what type of dyno??? I've seen several dyno pulls on a Mustang AWD dyno (Cobb's while still in TX) and stock RSs have always run 120-125. Like I said, apples to apples. On your dyno you may have made (or seen if it wasn't you) 100 awhp, on a mustang that would've likely been 120-ish (unless there is some serious engine damage).

BTW, when I dynoed 147hp and 160 lb-ft I can guarantee you that my cams/headers/chip/etc did not make ~50 hp and 60+ lb-ft. Apples to apples my friend.

#12 ·
Power and torque are directly proportional within any engine design, as far back as I can remember. The RS has ~165 ft/lbs of torque, ~165 HP. Somehow, you got the two numbers to no longer coorespond. How's that work?

I don't think you knew what you were doing on the dyno. that would do it.

#13 ·
Streetman said:
Power and torque are directly proportional within any engine design, as far back as I can remember. The RS has ~165 ft/lbs of torque, ~165 HP. Somehow, you got the two numbers to no longer coorespond. How's that work?

I don't think you knew what you were doing on the dyno. that would do it.
You are dead wrong champ...

Each dyno will vary slightly, just as every car will... A stock RS; my99 on a mustang dyno pulls ~122hp, my00-01 ~120hp. And I hate to tell you, but Cobb knows a bit about Subarus...

My car with an intake pulled a 131hp run...

#14 ·
Yep, you're right. I thought I was. When I figured out I was wrong, I just tried to annoy. I was bored, but you didn't take the bait.

Damn, what's it take to start an online pissing match these days!?:curse:

suppose I have to actually work now, damn it.

#15 ·
Almost forgot, I seriously think torque and HP are directly proportional, in any one engine design. As in if they're equal, any changes will affect each equally. Or like in a motorcycle design, where the torque number might be half of the horsepower, it will always be half of the horsepower. Am I worng on that to?

#16 ·
hp = (torque at a given rpm*5252)/5252. i think that's the right number, its something like that. torque is lb*ft. hp is lb*ft/sec. at 5252 rpm hp and torque will be exactly equal. below that, the hp will be less then the torque, above it, more then the torque. this is why the S2000 has nearly 100bhp more then my car, yet i still have more torque and 3000rpm less to play with. same thing with bikes. they make obnoxious hp numbers because they rev so high but they have to sacrifice torque to do it.

so you're sort of right. hp and torque are directly proportional but its not a linear relationship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.