Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TheGreyEminence
99 OBS (240k and counting)
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the car is a 99 OBS and I'm having the same one high beam out problem I've been reading bout. I read about one guy regrounding certain wires from his fuse box and that seems like it would work.

Heres the problem; I'm a noob and as such take a lot of what you all would call common sense things for granted. So my request is that someone PLEASE write a NOOB write-up on how to change or reground these wires in a write-up that leaves no room for noob-error, by that I mean please be sepcific enough so that you feel a child could fix it based on your well-written write-up. Thank you to anyone in advance that gets me outta this bind. Gotta get the car inspected....already 2 months over due!!!

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Ok, what's your problem here? Your high beam wont come on?

Usually that's due to a burned out high-beam filament in one of the bulbs. The low beam would work fine, but the high wouldn't.

If one of your lights is simply dim, then it could be that the fuse for that headlight is blown.

Are you sure you've checked the little things before starting a larger project like re-wiring them?

·
TheGreyEminence
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, what's your problem here? Your high beam wont come on?

Usually that's due to a burned out high-beam filament in one of the bulbs. The low beam would work fine, but the high wouldn't.

If one of your lights is simply dim, then it could be that the fuse for that headlight is blown.

Are you sure you've checked the little things before starting a larger project like re-wiring them?
No you're right. I haven't checked the fuses yet and I should've before asking for this write-up. I suppose I wanted to have the write-up available for the scenario when I check the fuses and find out they're ok...then what? Thats what I guess I was preparing for. I will check the fuses but if someone could please still tell me what to do as far as swapping out those wires...that would be lovely.

·
TheGreyEminence
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: So I checked the fuse for the left side headlight and it was no good, so I replaced it, problem solved, temporarily. My question is, if IT IS the rely that's gone bad...how long before it'll blow this new fuse? I ask because like I said before, I need to get my car inspected. But if the fuse is gonna blow between now and then, I'll be out $22, damn NYS inspection fee.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Not necissarily. I have known fuses to blow for reasons other than just a short. Electromagnetic interference, wierd conditions, etc. can blow one. It's just a fuse, if you blew it replace it, if it blows the second you replace it then it's a short, if not then dont worry about it, and just go for it. you'll be fine.

Hell, I had my ignition fuse blow the other day, shut down the car entirely. Replaced it and it's still running fine after another 600 miles.

·
TheGreyEminence
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Word, I'm guessing when I put some stereo components in I musta touched off my power lead and blew some fuses in the process. IF the fuse blows again...back to the drawing board

1 - 7 of 7 Posts