Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my 1.8T!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realize that the pics look ugly with the white around them, but they were too big! That's the best I can do with the shitty photo editor I have!:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's my intercooler hiding inside the bumper cover on the passenger side, peeking out at the bottom:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm planning on going with a top-mount before too much longer, as the lag I get right now is almost unbearable! Feel free to ask any questions or give any opinions! I will post the pics of my gauges and fuel controller in the Ice, Interior and Exterior section.
:D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Looks good Darrell, course I saw it in person! I didn't think the lag was that bad though.....

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think the lag was that bad though.....
Maybe, but there's a lot of room for improvement! :) Once I get the top-mount done, I estimate I'll get full boost from about 2500 rpm versus the ~3700 rpm now! I'll have to give you another ride then!:D

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, do you still hate your 1.8?
I would have to say I still feel a lot of aggression towards it! :boxer: The problem is that I started out with such little power, so while it's a lot faster, I'm not ready to go out and pick on Mustangs, but I'm not scared of Metros anymore!:) That should change once I switch to a top-mount intercooler.
As far as other issues, because of the way it's set up now, I am always running rich; it has to do with the location of MAF sensor and the length of intercooler piping, as far as I can tell. If I clean the tip of my Stromung today, it will have a very noticeable amount of carbon build-up on it in 3 days easily! I think I have worked out most of the other problems. With that said, I certainly don't regret doing it, and I look forward to making it better! One other thing-it's a lot easier to check the transmission fluid from underneath now! :D

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's really tough to see the turbo in these pics!:curse:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would assume to keep the heat away, though I am not sure that is the effect it is having. I have my uppipe wrapped in the same material, and that is to keep the heat IN the pipe, as to not slow the exhaust velocity, increasing spool time.

I'm not sure exactly how wrapping your intercooler/intake piping would affect the transfer of air through the tubing. Does this material keep heat out is my question.

Graham

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Before I wrapped my uppipe, the temperatures under the hood were quite hot compared to before the turbo. I wrapped the uppipe (downpipe was already wrapped), then decided that I wanted to insulate the air coming from the intercooler to the throttle body since it has a long way to go from the intercooler and seems like it would get hot again, so I wrapped most of the piping from the intercooler up to the throttle body. The wrapping does not begin until around the timing cover. Then I decided to wrap what was visible from the turbo to the fender, just because it's hideous! There is an ugly fitting from the turbo to the pipe where the BOV is routed, and from there, there is a piece of radiator-type flex hose going into the fender. It looks utterly horrible, so I decided to cover it. At any rate, it seems to be working fine for now. When I switch to a top-mount, I'll see if I can get some pics of everything unwrapped.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts