Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to get parts and info together for the swap.

I've got a dual port header sitting around the garage, but the 2.2's a single port.

Should I swap over the 1.8's heads? Will the differece in flow be all that much worse? If so, is it advisable to look for dual port 2.2 heads?

As I don't have the 2.2's ECU and a few other bits, I'm going to run off of the 1.8's with its manifold, etc..

I don't really think it's necessary to state, but this is all a learning experience for me. :noes:

Yeah, I'm dabbling in searches, but it's a bit much going back and forth through threads. Concise answers and insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

· Premium Member
91 LSi w/EJ22T
1,996 Posts
I say if you swap heads just do 2.2 dual port heads. If you do the 1.8's it will higher the compression ratio. I know some people will say oh it doesn't matter that much and blah blah, maybe i'm just picky but i'd try to use dual port 2.2 heads.

You can use your stock intake runners with any other N/A EJ series motor and I believe turbo motors as well.

A 2.2 5m/t ECU can be had cheaply with everyone swapping thier cars, it shouldn't be that hard to find.

If you've got anymore questions just hit me up on AIM.

· Registered
562 Posts
We have put together this setup for a friends car before. In a fwd 5mt it was a lot of fun. I dont remember the specifics now but I believe the head volume was pretty close to the 2.2, and the valves were about the same size also within 1/16". The car has since been scrapped due to frame damage. Ive worked on many hyrbids swaps and Ive found that to keep the heads and intake manifold that came with the car is the best way to go.

· Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any other thoughts on this?

I'm just a little leery of having an N/A "hybrid" of sorts, I guess.

I'm pretty close to biting the bullet on my budget, and getting the dual 2.2 heads - but I'd rather not, if the engine will be fine with the 1.8..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.