Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.2 budget build. Motor swap, in with 2.2 out with 1.8. Have an extra 1.8, thinking about 1.8 heads and manifold on the 2.2 block. Is this a foolish idea? What will the pro's and con's be with this motor. Will I gain any power over 2.2 heads on the 2.2 block? This is a semi-daily driver and a budget backroad rally car.What should I do? This car needs more go, but I have to do it on the cheap. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,918 Posts
The 1.8 have more aggressive cams than the 2.2. Plus the ratio of the rocker arms are better. Though get the thing regrinded by delta for $212 shipped.

If you do alittle bowl work where the spark hole protrudes into the intake ports you can trim alot of metal from there and get alot of flow back. There must be a good 3/16" of metal blocking air on that side of the valve. If you can afford a three angle valve job for a few hundred that would help alot too.

See if you cant find casting numbers between the two heads. Some have side the 2.2 heads flow better but are not distingusable when put next to each other so the flow cant be that much. The CR will be bumped though. You will make more power from that too.

I think if you did alittle work to the heads and got the cams reground it would make a nice DD motor. However if you could get your hands on some phase 2 2.5 stuff that would be better. Just how much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
We're pretty much in the same exact situation..

I'd actually posted up in the L, LS, LX, Brighton forum about this, too. Not too many replies, but piecing stuff together here and there, seems as if the combo would work well.

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L WAGON!!!
59 Posts
so do all 1.8heads have dual port? what years and spec do the 2.2s get dual port over single port?

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L WAGON!!!
59 Posts
the 2.2 in my 91 legacy is a dual port, just checked, so i think your right lol know if you can change 1.8 and 2.2 camshafts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
someone on nasioc did this a while back, he said it was similar to the ej22/ej25 hi-comp hybrid, but not as harsh up top. simply put, this is an alright solution to more power. If you can't find much info on it, document your build and let us all know, i would love to see some dyno sheets of this.:D Good luck in finding your answer.

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L WAGON!!!
59 Posts
got some more answers from the Delta Cams guy and ill document what i do/find...so far its looking like a 2.2 swap with header, exhaust and cams

·
Registered
99 GF
231 Posts
Im also doing the 1.8/2.2 hybrid. Ill be doing everything next week I think but so far I have the 2.2 block, 1.8 heads, new headbolts, 2.2 gaskets, OBX header, 2 1/2 in. catback, and a CAI. Its a pretty simple thing to do thats very cheap as a project and has a little higher compression which is nice. A little further down the road Im going to get some Delta Cams, S-AFC controller, wideband gauge, and some head work I think this is definetly a good build project for a N/A DD.

Anything specific anyone needs to know Im no expert thats for sure but maybe I could help lol who knows.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I still wanna see how this turns out. I've been too lazy and strapped for cash to do mine yet (more cash than anything, srsly).

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im also doing the 1.8/2.2 hybrid. Ill be doing everything next week I think but so far I have the 2.2 block, 1.8 heads, new headbolts, 2.2 gaskets, OBX header, 2 1/2 in. catback, and a CAI. Its a pretty simple thing to do thats very cheap as a project and has a little higher compression which is nice. A little further down the road Im going to get some Delta Cams, S-AFC controller, wideband gauge, and some head work I think this is definetly a good build project for a N/A DD.

Anything specific anyone needs to know Im no expert thats for sure but maybe I could help lol who knows.

Let us know how it works out. I ended up straight swapping a 2.2 with the heads. Just kept the 1.8 manifold. I'm not upset I did it this way though. I'm still thinking of doing it, as I have two full 1.8 motors and a 2.2 waiting in the barn. Good luck. Again, let us know ASAP.

·
Registered
99 GF
231 Posts
Hey so I swapped my EJ18 heads on to my EJ22E block last weeknd and it went fairl smooth. I also put on a OBX EL header and midpipe along with my 2.25 in cat back. It runs much smoother and better and gives out quite abit more power. I really wanna know if I can take a RS who knows though. The only thing I dont like is the EL header gives you a honda sound but I can live with it becasue it gives you more power than the UEL one. In a few weeks Im gonna put the EJ22E rokcers and and stuff in the EJ18 heads so I can have adjustable lifters:burnout:. The only thing that you need to do is plug the EGR port in the back of the EJ18 head before you swap them if you dont want to have a serious exhaust leak lol. Hope this helps you guys out!
Ty

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey so I swapped my EJ18 heads on to my EJ22E block last weeknd and it went fairl smooth.In a few weeks Im gonna put the EJ22E rokcers and and stuff in the EJ18 heads so I can have adjustable lifters:burnout:.

How much more power are we talking? Maybe the extra noise is making you think you have more power. Why do you want adjustable lifters?

·
Registered
99 GF
231 Posts
I really couldnt give you exact numbers but it feels like theres quite a bit more lower and mid range power. I want the adjustable lifters because I hate the EJ18 valve tick that theyre notorious for.

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really couldnt give you exact numbers but it feels like theres quite a bit more lower and mid range power. I want the adjustable lifters because I hate the EJ18 valve tick that theyre notorious for.

Well done with your hybrid! Glad you got it running. I'm still considering doing this. Have you run enough gas through it to figure out your MPG's? Just wondering. So is it just the rocker arm assemblies from the 2.2 you're swapping onto the 1.8 heads?

·
Registered
99 GF
231 Posts
Thanks Vermont:lol:. Um Ive ran about 3/4 of a tank through and so far I havent noticed much of a decrease in MPG other than the fact that Ive been getting on it more haha. I would recomend something like this as a mild project I like it alot. Yeah the rocker arms and lifters they should swap straight over. This is also a very easy project I think!

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you end up using the 1.8 or the 2.2 headgaskets? Or are the the same part #?

1 - 20 of 203 Posts