Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!
I have read the swap guide and, made obvious by the title, I had a question about doing an 08+ 6-speed swap. I plan to use a GD driveshaft, but the guide said you couldn't use 08+ axles because they're too long. however, I also plan on buying a wrc body kit, so I would love to have the extra width (~1" per side?). so, does it sound plausible or possible? would the hubs be too far from the suspension mounts?
thanks in advance for you help!

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,650 Posts
I would do a GD front/rear subframe swap if you want the extra inch. It really fills out the stock GC body and looks awesome, I wish our cars came that wide from the factory. You can definitely do 02-07 wrx/sti subframes with zero ill effects on the larger track width as long as you use all GD parts. The cheapo way to fill out the fenders is to just get wheel spacers. As far as the 08 axles go, I don't know much about the 08+ stuff because that was the first year they completely changed the rear end of the impreza and actually redesigned most of the car so not a lot of parts swap directly over without modification.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would do a GD front/rear subframe swap if you want the extra inch. It really fills out the stock GC body and looks awesome, I wish our cars came that wide from the factory. You can definitely do 02-07 wrx/sti subframes with zero ill effects on the larger track width as long as you use all GD parts. The cheapo way to fill out the fenders is to just get wheel spacers. As far as the 08 axles go, I don't know much about the 08+ stuff because that was the first year they completely changed the rear end of the impreza and actually redesigned most of the car so not a lot of parts swap directly over without modification.
ahh, i never thought/knew about a subframe swap until now! sadly, because from 08 onward Subarus have CAN bus, it's basically impossible to swap them into anything older. on the bright side, I also didn't know the gd track is wider (by about an inch - 08 STi is wider by 2/3 in the rear) so that will help a lot. I may actually just have to use spacers too lol.

this helps a lot, so thank you! I'm thinking I'll fit the gd trans, driveshaft, etc. plus subframes. I have another question though: I saw it mentioned on another thread that if you do an STi front subframe you also need a turbo motor? or can I use the subframe with an N/A engine? (the plan is to EG33 swap it, as well)

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
833 Posts
I've heard of people having fitment issues with H6's on turbo crossmembers. Because the turbo crossmember dips down to accommodate the up pipe, it hangs lower right where the H6 exhaust runs underneath. I've done a few H6 swaps, never had an issue, but I've also never used a turbo crossmember.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard of people having fitment issues with H6's on turbo crossmembers. Because the turbo crossmember dips down to accommodate the up pipe, it hangs lower right where the H6 exhaust runs underneath. I've done a few H6 swaps, never had an issue, but I've also never used a turbo crossmember.
oh, ok. makes sense. would it be possible to use a non-turbo gd subframe? are they the same size as the wrx/sti ones? if so and if they don't dip down, I'll definitely go that route.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
833 Posts
Not turbo GD crossmember should work mint, I've got an ez30 on one without issue, the exhaust is pretty close to the steering rack boots but so far so good. By my calculation, the eg33 exhaust shouldn't be any closer.

On that note, any chance I can convince you to install an ez30 instead? It's considerably easier to install fitment wise, weighs quite a bit less, and makes almost exactly the same power. I've even got spare ez30's and harness I'd trade you for your eg33....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not turbo GD crossmember should work mint, I've got an ez30 on one without issue, the exhaust is pretty close to the steering rack boots but so far so good. By my calculation, the eg33 exhaust shouldn't be any closer.

On that note, any chance I can convince you to install an ez30 instead? It's considerably easier to install fitment wise, weighs quite a bit less, and makes almost exactly the same power. I've even got spare ez30's and harness I'd trade you for your eg33....
sweet, thank you! and as much fun as that would probably be, I've always had a soft spot for the ej22, and as the eg33 is just that but with two more cylinders, plus the fact that I owned an xt6 (the svx's older sibling), the eg33 is just too special to me to do anything else, haha!

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,650 Posts
sweet, thank you! and as much fun as that would probably be, I've always had a soft spot for the ej22, and as the eg33 is just that but with two more cylinders, plus the fact that I owned an xt6 (the svx's older sibling), the eg33 is just too special to me to do anything else, haha!
EZ30 also has 2 extra cylinders (hence the 3.0 in the name) and is a newer engine with better technology and much easier to find and get parts for. The EG33 only came in the SVX which is already a rare car to begin with.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,566 Posts
Just to clarify this, the subframes themselves will not give you any added width. I run GD subframes front and rear in my coupe and just the front in my wagon and the track width remains stock. To widen the track width, you need the front control arms, rear lateral and trailing links, and axles from a GD sedan. The GD wagon (GG) is the same width as the GC, so those arms, links, and axles will not help you.

I can also confirm NA EJ aftermarket header exhaust issues, and my advice would be to not use a turbo crossmember to give yourself the clearance for the exhaust unless you fabricate it to go lower. Additionally, GD NA crossmembers are all over and nowhere near as sought after as the GD turbo ones. My recommendation for track width widening with an H6 is this: GD or GG front subframe (this accomodates a longer bushing for the GD control arms), the front control arms, rear lateral and trailing links, and axles from a GD sedan. You can choose whatever rear subframe you like. Again, the subframe in itself doesn't make a difference in track width.

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,650 Posts
There's a bit of misinformation here. Just to clarify this, the subframes themselves will not give you any added width. I run GD subframes front and rear in my coupe and just the front in my wagon and the track width remains stock. To widen the track width, you need the front control arms, rear lateral and trailing links, and axles from a GD sedan. The GD wagon (GG) is the same width as the GC, so those arms, links, and axles will not help you.
The difference between a subframe and crossmember is that the subframe usually refers to the entire assembly under the car that mounts the drivetrain and suspension parts. The crossmember is just the part that goes across the engine bay (or rear differential in the back). I mentioned "using all GD parts" to allude to the fact that you need more than just a single hunk of metal to swap over to widen the track of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all the info! It would probably help to clarify that I plan on using all GD STi axles, control arms, and links, as well as the R180 diff. Basically just a whole STi underpinning swap haha. Your advice on crossmembers also lines up with all else I've learned, so going non turbo seems to be the way to go! Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,566 Posts
The difference between a subframe and crossmember is that the subframe usually refers to the entire assembly under the car that mounts the drivetrain and suspension parts. The crossmember is just the part that goes across the engine bay (or rear differential in the back). I mentioned "using all GD parts" to allude to the fact that you need more than just a single hunk of metal to swap over to widen the track of the car.
I've honestly never heard of someone counting control arms as a subframe. Worst case, I corrected misinformation, best case, I added clarity.

But to really get into semantics, your link is poorly formatted. Check the exact quote where it comes from.
Wikipedia! said:
A subframe is usually made of pressed steel panels that are much thicker than bodyshell panels, which are welded or spot welded together. The use of hydroformed tubes may also be used.
This is totally separate from the description of the different types of subframes, which only explain what each subframe holds and how it is designed, not what is included in its definition. In the case of Subaru, the crossmember is the subframe, exactly as I said. Control arms are part of the suspension and axles are part of the driveline, which are bolted to the subframe.

But honestly, my bad on not seeing you mentioning "all" in your post. At least now there's a descriptive explanation.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,566 Posts
Probably exactly what you called it, front drivetrain assembly minus the engine and transmission? Although drivetrain does imply engine and transmission, so maybe complete crossmember/subframe and suspension assembly. I'd never assume a moving part of the suspension like the control arms to be a part of the subframe/crossmember though.

Thank you for all the info! It would probably help to clarify that I plan on using all GD STi axles, control arms, and links, as well as the R180 diff. Basically just a whole STi underpinning swap haha. Your advice on crossmembers also lines up with all else I've learned, so going non turbo seems to be the way to go! Thanks again, I appreciate the help!
Glad we could be of help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts