Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
So long story short, I totaled an absolute gem in April ( 03 Nissan Pathfinder, 80K Miles, 2nd owner) and bought an 08 forester as replacement, ( ive always had subarus.) Things seemed fine when I bought it, but after 800 miles, the oil light came on, and this baby needs a short block yesterday. Im burning 5 qts of oil every 10 days. I found Sunwest Automtive online and they seem to have great prices and fair reviews, but the negatives are all very informative and worry me. Im on the east coast. does anyone have a review of sunwest, or a recommendation of a similar builder (fast turnaround, seemingly well built NA replacements) that I can use? Thanks ahead of time. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Sunwest? Near Spokane, WA?

I bought a rebuilt 257 block from them for my backyard hybrid turbo build. I R&R'd a few pistons out of that block from melting them. Crank/bearings never had an issue, and it didn't leak. A block I had built by AutoSport in Seattle wasn't sealed properly.. didn't even need to be running to leak, but a second one I had done by then has been problem free.

I'd give both businesses 5 stars as I got a bit of a discount on my second block assembly at AutoSport due to the leaker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sunwest? Near Spokane, WA?

I bought a rebuilt 257 block from them for my backyard hybrid turbo build. I R&R'd a few pistons out of that block from melting them. Crank/bearings never had an issue, and it didn't leak. A block I had built by AutoSport in Seattle wasn't sealed properly.. didn't even need to be running to leak, but a second one I had done by then has been problem free.

I'd give both businesses 5 stars as I got a bit of a discount on my second block assembly at AutoSport due to the leaker.

Thats the one. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I'm about to just order their "enhanced" rebuilt block, it's just for daily duty so should be plenty for me. The current engine is going downhill fast, burning oil, losing power. Not making a lot of noise, but I know this song and dance. I shouldnt have to drop to 3rd gear to go 60mph up a hill.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thats the one. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I'm about to just order their "enhanced" rebuilt block, it's just for daily duty so should be plenty for me.
Not every business is going to be able to churn out perfect blocks. Ideally yes, but it is a human putting it together.

I was very happy with my experience at Sunwest, I did not have any issues with mine, other than when I turned the boost up, but that was a me problem not a them problem!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts