Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member Premium
99/07 RSTi, 2013 Cayenne GTS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my official first post. I am buying a wrecked 2007 STI with under 9000 miles on it to swap into my 99 RS. For the swap I am planning to install and hook up the DCCD, the complete engine and trans, the rear diff, the brakes, the steering wheel, blah blah blah...and I think the suspension too. I had a few questions. I am not picking the car up for about 2 weeks and then the swap process will take a while so I have a few weeks to gather up parts for the swap. I am thinking of the COBB accessport and a full exhaust. The question on the exhaust is when ordering it what do I use as stats? Do i say its for a 2007 STI and it'll fit right on??? Basically what will fit and what gives the best gains and has a nice sound and will work with the COBB accessport? The next question is can I install the Cruise control from the 07 into my NON-CC RS? Can I install ONLY the gauge cluster and not the entire dash and all the climate controls from the STI? I like the RS interior but wanted the STI gauge cluster. Should I get any other parts like engine mounts and who makes them? Tranny mount, shifter bushings, etc and what do I order them for...the STI or the RS? I think that is it for now until I get the car here and see what all my options are.

As a side not I am NOT installing the blue STI interior. I am thinking of getting my hands on some RECARO's out of a new Lancer EVO and installing them. Also, I will have the 2.5 motor and 5 speed trans and rear diff, and all other parts being replaced for sale in the near future. I also have a Legacy 2.0 Twin turbo to get rid of cheap. I will post all of that when I have the actual stuff available. Thanks for the help.

Also as another side note I did try searching but came up with too many results to look through and really didn't find what I wanted....

-Bauer

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
This is just me...

but I THINK you'll be able to install everything on the front end of the STi into your RS, you'll have to merg the tail lights from your car into the STi harness and you might have to modify one of the two dash bars to get everything in...

just my 2cents but I'm sure some one else here has actually done it and can give you a better heads up

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
You could buy an exhaust for both STi and or WRX, '04 - '07 (Pre '08) turbo-back is a direct fit. The exhaust will fit on your GC, there is one hanger that does not hang correctly on the GC8, provided that you are using a GD style Exhaust. The First hanger will not hang onto the exhaust hanger since the GC8 is on the opposite direction, than a GD style exhaust, if you get an JDM GC8 muffler you should be okay.
**If you were to get a GC8 STi exhaust you will need to get the full catback since JDM Downpipes are shorter than USDM, and therefore JDM midpipes are longer**

Any exhaust should work with the access port as long as you use the correct map for your application (ie. 2.5in diameter and or 3 in, etc) Not sure on the cruise control, from what I understand it will not work (I could be wrong) You could use the gauge cluster.

Engine mounts would work both GC and WRX ('02 - '07) provided that you are using the STi crossmember, Tranny mount you need the 6 speed tranny mount.

All of this that you are asking has been covered plenty of times on this board, you are not the only one that has done this look through people's journal... search button is your friend.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
I'm just finishing this swap right now and Brydon has completed the same thing fairly recently. Here's what I know:
The question on the exhaust is when ordering it what do I use as stats? Do i say its for a 2007 STI and it'll fit right on???
Yes. Say it's for an 07 STI. You should be swapping the entire rear end of the STI if you are doing tranny and brembos so there will be NO fitment issues.
Basically what will fit and what gives the best gains and has a nice sound and will work with the COBB accessport?
They will all work with the accessport but I highly recommend the APS TBE. By far the best sounding and put together exhaust on the market IMO.
The next question is can I install the Cruise control from the 07 into my NON-CC RS?
Yes, check Brydon's sticky in this forum. You have the plugs/wires for cruise, you just don't have the cruise box and button.
Can I install ONLY the gauge cluster and not the entire dash and all the climate controls from the STI? I like the RS interior but wanted the STI gauge cluster.
Yeah, you can do that.
Should I get any other parts like engine mounts and who makes them? Tranny mount, shifter bushings, etc and what do I order them for...the STI or the RS?
If you do the complete mechanical swap, your car is now an 07 STI. Everything from here on out should be ordered for an STI with the exception of the odd part. I would recommend getting a short shifter + bushings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick Hijack, where did you find your 07 Donor car and for how much?

I`am personally looking for a 06-07 wrx or sti to swap.. anyone know the average going rates..

And good Luck that will be a sick project!!

·
Member Premium
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CHEERS!!
Thanks for the information. It was much quicker than searching through all of the posts. There are SO MANY posts (AND all great) that I was spending a lot of time looking but not really getting straight up answers. This was a tremendous help and I really appreciate it.

For those wondering on price and availability I am thinking the average price for 06-07's is over $10G. This particular one has absolutely no front end damage, the trunk is smashed in but it did not hit anything vital in the rear (IE susoension, rear diff etc) It runs and drives fine. Someone did steal the front bumper and the headlight assemblies but I dont need that stuff anyway. I am not sure if I am insane but I am paying $11,500 for the above condition with less than 9000 miles (The major point of sale for me was low mileage) I'll disclose where I got it in a little bit...sorry. A good place to look, although I heard their site was infected recently is www.ridesafely.com. Their STI's usually have an auction end price of 8-9000 average. This includes 2004's. I worked with a guy named Kenny and everytime we went to auction on a car there were guys from CALI buying them up even here in philly. You also need to make sure the car was not hit too hard in the front end and the possibility of engine, or other vital damage is there since these are almost "sight unseen." Look at their pictures closely. Your representative from ridesafely usually calls you the day of your auction and ask him/her to physically go to the car in question and give you a good idea of what they think of the damage and increase your bid accordingly. Another place is EBAY. Keep checking. I saw a 2006 (I think) that needed a right rear suspension set and it was ready to go (For a swap, to repair it would cost a lot for body damage) and it was a buy-it-now of $9900 and I missed out on that one. It is basically a game of being patient and waiting. WRX's can be had much much MUCH cheaper....but I am only cheap in so many ways...this was not one of them. If anyone has any other questions about where and price or whatever you can shoot me a PM and then I can keep this post on track and hopefully as many others have done I can get a nice 10 page write up going with pictures and everyone can follow along. that's all for now...but I am totally stoked!

-B

·
Registered
00rs and 97 GF8 L wagon
819 Posts
good find BAUR...

if you can... it would be great to do an entire write up on your install/swap . it would help us who have swap in our minds but yet don't have the time to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah that site is pretty good, theres 2 STI`s for under 9,000 which seems to good to be true, one is like in the same town as mine, I wish i had the cash right now, What did you mean by the site was infected?

this is my situiation, I have a 2004 STI that its just constant drain on me, It ran 11.3 at 123mph, built motor 35r deal going on with that thing, and i blew it up again for like the 3rd time now and its really getting old, I might put her back together this last time, and sell her for like 25ish and pay off school, and just do a rs swap and some mods to get me around mid 400whp then call it a a day, i dunno guys tell me what you think

Anyhow Good luck man, I wana see some pics when you get some stuff together!!

·
Registered
2001 BRP RS Coupe 5spd
171 Posts
Good luck with your project! That site is very good, there is an STi not far from here that is currently going for $4000! I doubt it will stay that low, but it gives me hope for a future project myself.... :)

·
Member Premium
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for comments, suggestions and all other replies. I am leaving tomorrow after work to make the trek 10 hours each way to get my STI to make an RS-Ti ....I'll try to get pictures up soon.

·
Member Premium
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Geez!! 10 hours and 40 minutes each way and I am flippin' tired!!! Got my car. Started, drove it right on the trailer and came home...after a thorough inspection. The driver side rear suspension has two bent pieces, the rims have a few minor scratches to them, the rear diff temp light stays on, and for my purposes that is really all I noticed so far. Not sure when I am going to get going on this swap, hopefully very shortly, but I do have school and work to worry about too. Also still doing some research. I think I have settled on the APS TBE but still pondering up pipe and a header set up. Also think I am set with the Cobb Accessport, but its still up in the air. Good night

-B

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
What exactly are your plans? It will be very very hard for you to keep your dash and swap everything else.

The DCCD requires the ABS from the STI. The ABS, Climate control and ECU have a can bus that connect them to eachother. You also have to keep the immobilizer stuff from the STI.

It is all possible but will require quite abit of merge if you want to make everything functionable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
I recommend going with Spiider's DCCDPro if you want to keep DCCD and have a much easier time doing the wiring for the swap.

·
Member Premium
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brydon,

My plans are to get the car as fast as possible without opening the motor. Full exhaust, reprogramming, and intake are my initial add-ons that I am planning to do with the swap. I would love to be in the high 11's but no idea how possible that is for my budget which just took a huge hit.

Moving on I want to keep the RS dash and climate controls but I wanted the STI gauge cluster like the crawford car on the main page earlier today. i want the STI steering wheel. I want the STI motor and all of its components like AVCS and whatever else. the full Tranny and rear diff swap, I will probably do all the suspension, all the brakes, spindles, axles etc. I want the DCCD. I want the Cruise control which my RS has none. I guess I would need to switch all the suspension stuff to work with the STI spindles and such. I would bring over the STI ABS stuff. I guess i am basically looking to keep it looking like an RS inside and out except for gauges and steering wheel inside and wheels and brakes outside. I am not that great of a wiring guru but I think I could figure it out. I can do any type of metal fabrication if need be. I hope i have cleared up a little better of what I am looking for so you guys are better suited to help me. i am definately open to ANY SUGGESTIONS as i was a Jeeper before and did a lot of fabrication on my Jeep but sold it to Finance this new project. I want to go fast and handle at least as well as this car already does. Eventually I would love to auto cross it but time does not permit that right now. I have about a month before I start doing anything with the car so suggestions and clarification of ideas, wiring, and abilities of my own have some time to be finished before i ruin anything! HA Thanks again for all the help. I got a lot of pictures of the car and I hope to load them onto a verizon site so you guys can see what I have. Thanks

-B

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
Bauer, what you plan on doing is exactly what I'm just finishing up with the exception of a couple of things.
1. I did have DCCD but I didn't use the factory unit. I have Spiider's DCCDPro Dual Mode Controller (with OEM scroll wheel) and will be using that to take care of my DCCD needs. His website is www.dccdpro.com -- I definitely recommend taking a look over there.

2. I didn't use the STI ABS system for two reasons. a) It added a lot more wiring to the mix and b) I didn't have the Yaw sensor. I used the STI brakes and ABS sensors and just soldered the RS connections on the STI ABS sensor in order to have it hook up properly.

3. I used 100% of the STI mechanical bits and it all swapped right over. It was pretty much bolt up and go.

If you have any questions or anything, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Like silent said the mechanical is easy! But the electrical will be some work. You not only have to deal with all the wiring for the ecu and immobolizer and dccd including yaw sensor and stearing angle sensor. You need to wire the ABS and all its sensors and the controller into your RS.

It's very possible but put some time aside to wire it all in.

11s will most likely never happen on the stock turbo. A 20g or bigger would probably get you there but so much for budget. For that you will need injectors, FMIC, exhaust, turbo, intake, and tuning for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts