Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 2.5 Turbo motor, cluster, drive by wire pedals, engine and dash harness.

1st thing, im pretty sure i have to use the 06 gauge cluster, but i want to keep my 99 dash, can it be cut and put in place of the old cluster?

2- What cutting and splicing is involved with using the 06 harness in the 99 chassis? What has to be connected and all that?

3- What other parts do i need, i already looked over the USDM part list thread, i need a cross member, fuel rails and injectors. What else?

I have till around the 16th of august to do the swap, ill be getting the motor this week, or early next week. If not, ill be taking the motor to ohio with me to college, i can get some stuff through work, i possibly might be asking some of you local boys to lend me a hand. Thanks, please let me know what you guys can help me with...

·
Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
403 Posts
I'd be interested in the responses too as I also have a 99rs that is awaiting a posible engine. Although I think GT has a nice Ej257 I wouldnt mind having.

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Hope you also have the keys, ECU, and immobilzer or else you even have a bigger problem on your hands.

As far as splicing the wires, there are more wires then I would care to elaborate on currently but its more then alot. There are a few threads that go over it.

You could use the '06 cluster, but it won't fit your dash correctly.

Why would you need fuel rails, and injectors, are you not recieving a complete motor.

I would suggest taking a look at the stick on top of the Turbo forum, there is plenty of info there discussing this swap. As well as lots of info from the search button aswell.

Goodluck, but I have a feeling you don't neccisarily know what you are getting into just yet.

·
Registered
94LSwagonswap OL WRX and
2,411 Posts
Banshee, like Jay says, the immobilizer will become an issue. As long as you have the correct ecu and immobilizer and the keys. If you dont, let me know what you dont have and maybe i can help you out with it all.

Also the wiring is hell for the newer ones.

You dont HAVE to use the 06 cluster. you can use your stock one too. Just takes a bit of wiring to get it done thats all.

_billy

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no problem with a little splicing and such, i just want an idea of what im getting into, my buddy says he has the ecu, keys, biu, and the immobilizer unit so that should be good. Im going to talk to him tonight, he said it needs injectors and rails, any ideas on what to get? I want to stay away from perrin, i want to use japanese made parts, ive had bad issues with perrin. Anyways, im at work so ill let you know later tonight.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, im getting a full wrx drivetrain, motor, trans, drivshafts, axles, rear diff. All electronics that go with it. It needs 3 things, a turbo, an intercooler, and fuel rails, it has wrx injectors on it. 26k on the drivetrain.

What do you guys think about a turbo, intercooler, and rails?

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
06 WRX is the Same as the 07 STI. Here is what you need to get started. This is 95% of it and the rest is know how on electronics and wiring. You need ECU, Immobilizer, Antenna, Key, DBW pedal, Fuel pump controller, complete wiring, motor and everything attached to the motor. There is alot of pictures and links in my sticky at the top of the swap forum!

Conversion From 2007 STI to 1999/2000 RS Pinout

Description - STI pin location - RS pin location

VSS B136/13 - B135/24
Backup power supply B135/5 – B136/9
Starter Switch B136/32 - B135/28
Ignition Switch B135/19 - B135/7
Neutral Position B136/31 - B135/26
Test mode connector B135/27 - B135/14
Line end check - nothing
Control Power B134/7 - B136/1
Control Power B135/2 - B136/2
Evaporation Thermo Switch B136/24 – B135/27
A/C relay B136/9 - B134/17
Fan1 Relay B136/18 - B134/3
Fan2 Relay B136/29 - B134/12 *Changed from actually wiring diagram one says pin2*
CEL light B136/11 - B134/11
Tach B136/22 - B134/30
fuel tank pressure sensor B135/32 - B136/12
Fuel tank pressure solenoid B136/28 - B134/1
Drain valve B136/17 - B134/10
Fuel tank valve B134/24 - Not on the RS body
Fuel level sensor B135/10 - B136/27
Fuel temp sensor B135/17 - B136/26
Small light B135/15 - B136/3 (Doesn’t exist on 99 RS only on 2000+)
Blower fan switch B135/16 - B136/30 (Doesn’t exist on 99 RS only on 2000+)
Rear defogger Switch B135/14 - B135/21 (Doesn’t exist on 99 RS only on 2000+)
SSM/GST Communication line B136/16 - B135/3
5Volt Power supply B135/22 - B136/15
Immobilizer B136/26 - Immobilizer/Pin10
Immobilizer B136/34 - Immobilizer/Pin23
Self Shutoff Control B136/23 - B135/19
AT/MT identification signal – T’ed to ground
CAN communication + B136/27 –
CAN communication – B136/35 –

*Not complete still need powers and grounds and randoms*

Addition Wiring on the 1999/2000/2001 RS harness:

OBDII Connector Pin4 B135/11 (G/W) - Not Used for the STI
OBDII Connector Pin5 B135/12 (Lg/R) - Not Used for the STI
OBDII Connector Pin8 B135/21 (W/R) - Not Used for the STI
Line End Check 1 B135/20 (R/W) - Not Used for the STI
Fuel Pump Relay Control B134/16 – B135/19
^^^****The Opposite side of the fuel pump relay now needs to be ground instead of power. The Main Relay needs to be power instead of ground. This can be done by swapping the Main Power Relay and Fuel Pump Relays power and ground. These are the wires opposite the side that go back to the ecu****
W/G RS >>>Water temp>>> W/G STI to dash gauge
G/W or G/B RS>>>>Oil pressure >>>G/W STI to dash light.

2007 STI Fuel Pump Controller

R122/1 (B) - To the ground leading to the fuel pump (B)
R122/2 (V/W) - Wired directly to the ECU
R122/3 (B/Y) - Wired to the 12Volt power leading to the fuel pump (B/R)
R122/4 (B/W) - Wired to negative side of fuel pump (B)
R122/5 (Lg/R) - Wired directly to the ECU
R122/6 (B/Or) - To positive side of fuel pump (B/R)

2007 STI Cruise Control:

B135/3 - Set light on dash - B161/6 (B)
B135/6 - Cruise light on dash - B161/4 (V)
B135/12 - Cruise button on - B94/4 (Br/W)
B135/13 - Resume/accel - B94/7 (R/W)
B135/20 - Brake switch 12v switch - B94/8 (R/Y)
B135/24 - Set/coast - B94/6 (Lg/B)
B135/28 - Brake switch 12v switch - B94/19 (W/B)
B136/25 - Clutch switch - B94/9(L/Or)

B94/5 (Y/G) spliced to B94/3 (G/B)
B161/2 need to be T’ed to B161/1
B107/1 needs to be T’ed to B94/8

Immobilizer Pinouts:

Pin 1: Antenna
Pin 2: Fused 12v power (Power into Main Relay)
Pin 3: Fused 12v power (Power into Main Relay)
Pin 5: Security Light on dash ???
Pin 8: Door light switch (Yellow wire from doors, color is the same on 07STI and 99RS)
Pin 9: Keyless entry wire but T'ed to impact sensor. This does not exist on the 99 RS. But I think you will be ok.
Pin 10: ECU wire (B136/26)
Pin 14: Antenna
Pin 15: Ground (B134/5)
Pin 23: ECU wire (B136/34)
Pin 24: Ignition fused 12v Power (Power into Main Relay)
Pin 25: Ground (B134/5)
Pin 26: Ignition Starter & Steering Lock assembly (B135/19)

IF YOU ARE NOT 100% SURE YOU CAN COMPLETE THIS I WOULD SUGGEST CALLING ECS TO HAVE THE WIRING MERGE DONE!!!!

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would, if i had the money, i have 3 weeks to get this in my car and running. Think thats enough time? I can have my friend tony tune it, hes got some good stuff. I just need it running... I need a turbo, rails, intercooler, and exhaust. Im good with electrical stuff, but all those pics of connectors is confusing me...

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
624 Posts
If your trying for 3 weeks, I would leave as much time free as possible to work on the car. I started my swap thinking 2-3 weeks was my goal and now with all of the little stuff and minor problems i've come across in the process its been 3 weeks, and i'm looking at another 2-3 before everything will be running. Granted I have a full time job I'm worrying about also.

So anyways, just make sure you have a lot of free time, and expect there to be little bumps at every part. The wiring is a huge job also, so be prepared. Its hard to imagine HOW big, until you have it all unwrapped and laid out on the floor in front of you. There's a reason it costs 1k at ECS and GT.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im leaving in 10 mins to go get the motor setup. I need sorta step by step instructions on this.Where should i start, the dash? I need an explanation on what to do with the harnesses. What exactly am in doing, switching the wires and connectors around? If i need help, some local peeps might need to be called, lol.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok, i got an 06-07 motor with manifold and injectors, no turbo no intercooler. Got a 5speed trans in great shape, and a rear diff in great shape. I only got the engine harness, is there any way to convert this to a cable throttle and run it without all the immobilizer? The only issue i have is this has the AVCS in it...Im stuck, hey billy, have anything to help me out? lol

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
looks like your missing a little more then just the turbo and intercooler there pal... and yes you can convert it to run with a throttle cable but your going to need a different throttle body, and by the looks of it you dont have one at all.. you just wont be able to use the 06 ecu.. i suggest going with a 04 sti ecu in your situation

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
It looks like you are missing a TON of stuff. If I were you I'd just buy a standalone to skip having to buy an immobilizer+ECU+key setup if you're afraid of the immobilizer.

Edit: Wow, you are missing more than I first thought. Sell this for whatever you paid for it ASAP. Next time, buy something that is complete. You are probably looking at close to $1000 in parts to complete that motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
alright

so my parents got me a 2.5rs its so sweet, but its automatic. does anyone know how much it would be to have a manual transmission swap? i dont wanna buy a new car because this ones just simply beautiful

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im aint selling the motor, im selling the trans and rear (In the classifieds), i got an awsome deal on this, these things are hard to come by in my area. but it needs the TGVs, throttle body, turbo, intercooler, turbo inlet, full exhaust, not as much as you think. What will a standalone run me? Will a used one work? Maybe a hydra? big bucks though.

I actually have a few people who are interested in trading my trans and diff for parts. Worst comes to worst i can take the motor with me to ohio and swap out there.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so my parents got me a 2.5rs its so sweet, but its automatic. does anyone know how much it would be to have a manual transmission swap? i dont wanna buy a new car because this ones just simply beautiful
Uhh, wrong thread bro, g/l with it though.

·
Registered
05 legacy sdn, 00 rs sdn
840 Posts
Im aint selling the motor, im selling the trans and rear (In the classifieds), i got an awsome deal on this, these things are hard to come by in my area. but it needs the TGVs, throttle body, turbo, intercooler, turbo inlet, full exhaust, not as much as you think. What will a standalone run me? Will a used one work? Maybe a hydra? big bucks though.

I actually have a few people who are interested in trading my trans and diff for parts. Worst comes to worst i can take the motor with me to ohio and swap out there.
whats out in ohio? what school are you going to out there?..... also.. with what you have, compaired to what you need... i would get a hold of an 04 sti harness and ECU and work with that
being that its an 2.5l.... with avcs and your lacking a turbo and throttle body...

by doing what i stated above you wont have to worry about mounting a accelerator pedal or dealing with imobilizer

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
WOW!!! You need a lot more than you expect! If you want to keep it 06 WRX. You need alot. You need all the sensors too! Emissions sensors, MAF, front/rear o2 sensor, Throttle body with all sensors, hoses, tubes, all the wiring in the car, fuel pump controller, TGVs, injectors, rails, fpr, intercooler, turbo, exhaust manifold, uppipe, downpipe, exhaust, ecu, immobilizer, key, ignition with antenna, and I'm sure I forgot something!!! I mean you are talking about a lot of money and even used this stuff will not be cheap!!!!

Oh, coolant tank, radiator stuff, crossover tube, pcv lines, PS lines and PS unit for a WRX/STI, and don't forget a turbo crossmember.

Your best bet is to sell this to a WRX owner that wants a swap or find everything from a WRX that has a bad motor and they are parting it out for cheap. But i would still expect another few thousand dollars minimum.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts