Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own i ej20 non turbo 2006 hawkeye and i am trying to make it go abit more i have done a DIY top mount intake and i have ordered a catback and would like to get any bit of power out of it. more then just from bolting it on . what would i need to tune it and can someone help me tune it i would be very greatfull thanks

· Registered
2,027 Posts
stop spending money trying to make that car go faster with whats under the hood, and start saving for a swap or a different car.

· Registered
112 Posts
To put it in perspective, some shops/individuals have spent a lot of money trying to make some serious NA power.
200 hp at the wheels is the untouchable goal for a lot of them.

This is not a lot. A swap will get you to a fun power level without a lot of the headaches that the NA tuners go through.
I'm sure if you post in a facebook group someone will take you on a ride, you'll be hooked, and you'll start some threads on "How to wrx swap a 2006 RS".
Honestly if you just saved up some cash, you could sell yours, and then buy a wrx. Or you can do some research and see what you need to swap in a wrx engine.

Not trying to burst your bubble. I've been there and done that. I considered going Na-T ( adding a turbo to the stock engine).
Again it's not worth it.

· Registered
2005 Impreza RS, 1997 Impreza L, 2022 Outback
45 Posts
All depends on your goals and what you wish to achieve. If you want 250+ whp then yes a turbo swap would be in order. If you want to keep the engine that's in it and get the most out of it focus on the cylinder heads... bigger cams, valves, port & polish, and tune would give you the most power increase. Idk about the 2.0 but with the 2.5 you could easily net 200 whp depending on how big of camshafts you go with. And in the grand scheme of things its relatively cheap. If you just want to simply tune it with the exhaust and intake there is an open source tuning software called romraider that will allow you to do that. There may be someone here that could help tune it but Im sure you have local shops that can also help. Like the others have said, the gain isn't much for the n/a cars but its your car you do what you want with it.

· Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
777 Posts
All depends on your goals and what you wish to achieve. If you want 250+ whp then yes a turbo swap would be in order. If you want to keep the engine that's in it and get the most out of it focus on the cylinder heads... bigger cams, valves, port & polish, and tune would give you the most power increase. Idk about the 2.0 but with the 2.5 you could easily net 200 whp depending on how big of camshafts you go with. And in the grand scheme of things its relatively cheap. If you just want to simply tune it with the exhaust and intake there is an open source tuning software called romraider that will allow you to do that. There may be someone here that could help tune it but Im sure you have local shops that can also help. Like the others have said, the gain isn't much for the n/a cars but its your car you do what you want with it.
Your post contradicts itself several times. The stock ej25/20 is somewhere around 95whp-115whp from what Ive read, doubling that is difficult and a lot of work. 200whp out of the stock N/A 2.5(or 2.0) is not easy or cheap, tuning with an intake/exhaust is going to net you maybe 20 horsepower if you go aggressive, and most local shops deal with turbo cars and I know few NATIONWIDE that have experience tuning NA subarus. OP is also outside of the US and likely has even less access to aftermarket parts/shops. You say the gain isnt much but you can 'easily' gain power? Hmm.

· Registered
45 Posts
Your post contradicts itself several times. The stock ej25/20 is somewhere around 95whp-115whp from what Ive read, doubling that is difficult and a lot of work. 200whp out of the stock N/A 2.5(or 2.0) is not easy or cheap, tuning with an intake/exhaust is going to net you maybe 20 horsepower if you go aggressive, and most local shops deal with turbo cars and I know few NATIONWIDE that have experience tuning NA subarus. OP is also outside of the US and likely has even less access to aftermarket parts/shops. You say the gain isnt much but you can 'easily' gain power? Hmm.

Settle down little buddy. Check out Naturally Aspirated Subaru (NAS) Performance and see what they've done with the 2.5. Technology and parts have become much better lately. Lets see if we can clear this up for you though.

We don't really know what whp the OP is working with and I never claimed with a 2.0 the OP could easily get to that 200whp mark. With a 2.5 of that year, yes I'd still say with the proper head work they would Easily obtain that coveted 200whp. This is where the OP can Easily gain power.

I also said in the grand scheme of things it is relatively cheap, $2-5k (usd) for a high revving engine that the owner can have a ton of fun in is very cheap in the Subaru world. And OP would not have to swap anything. Building some cylinder heads are a much cheaper option than to turbo the existing engine or wrx swap.

On the other hand, if he only wants to get his gain from a tune only then yes there is not much to gain. This is a separate option from doing the cylinder head work. Now I do not think that getting someone to tune the car would be much of an issue. Most professional tuners would be happy to do it. Will they have years of tuning a n/a subaru? no very unlikely. But they will more than likely have enough experience in tuning to be able to get a small gain like the OP wanted.

OP never really stated a goal for HP. I didn't want to sound rude and tell him to he needs to have a wrx to have a fun car. What he wants to do with what he has is on him. I wouldn't care if he wanted to turn it into a truck. I am not going to tell him he's better off buying a truck. I'll help him with what he's asking for.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
do this search in google, "site:nasioc.com 200whp na" and enjoy yourself. If you have $5,000 burning a hole in your pocket, I highly recommend selling whatever it is that you're driving for whatever it's worth, and taking ALL of that money, and buying either a turbo or six cylinder subaru.

There's also this, Zzyzx Motorsports 2.5 RS breaks 300 NA HP

· Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
777 Posts
do this search in google, "site:nasioc.com 200whp na" and enjoy yourself. If you have $5,000 burning a hole in your pocket, I highly recommend selling whatever it is that you're driving for whatever it's worth, and taking ALL of that money, and buying either a turbo or six cylinder subaru.

There's also this, Zzyzx Motorsports 2.5 RS breaks 300 NA HP
Or you just spend the $5k on a wrx and have a reliable 05 impreza beater on the side, but scot and OP have freedom to do whatever they want 🤣

· Registered
45 Posts
yeah a high mileage, rusted out, 10 owner $5k wrx is the pinnacle car we should all set out to own lmao. Now that we are giving financial advice, take that 5k and don't put it in any automobile. Stay away from cars completely.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
Just for the sake of the argument, there is a 2006 Impreza 2.5i locally with 105k on it, asking 6200. IF you happen to get all 6200, on top of the 5k burning a hole in your pocket, and just maybe because it's not a whole lot more you save up another grand cause...why not? so now we have 12000...
Sky Purple Violet Font Magenta

lots of turbo fours for under 12000 and at least 10000 so they're not likely buckets...

44,000 mile legacy gt, lets fuckin go. 2005 Subaru Legacy - SERVICE RECORDS / CLEAN / ONLY 44K MILES! -...

not a turbo four but still one of the coolest subaru's you can buy, and it's a manual to boot 2006 Subaru Baja AWD low miles - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

not my style, but it looks tastefully done 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle...

who doesn't love a blob eye? 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon Manual 1 Owner - cars & trucks - by...

hot color, i'd rock the shit out of this 2005 Subaru 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Turbo Wagon - cars & trucks - by...

· Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
777 Posts
yeah a high mileage, rusted out, 10 owner $5k wrx is the pinnacle car we should all set out to own lmao. Now that we are giving financial advice, take that 5k and don't put it in any automobile. Stay away from cars completely.
Given the budget and hp gain from the build you're suggesting, yes a high mileage beat up WRX AND a N/A impreza are better than one modified 4cyl econobox that won't ever be worth half of the engine mods that were put into it.

· Registered
45 Posts
I don't know why people like four cylinder turbos so much... six cylinder or bust buddy.
Id have to agree there. I traded my Outback for a 15 Legacy with the 3.6. If Subaru would have mated the sti 6-speed to the 3.6 then they would have a car! But the 3.6 with a cvt drives completely different than a 4cy turbo cvt. And the 3.6 sounds way better.

· Registered
45 Posts
Given the budget and hp gain from the build you're suggesting, yes a high mileage beat up WRX AND a N/A impreza are better than one modified 4cyl econobox that won't ever be worth half of the engine mods that were put into it.
You are completely right.... spending all of your money for the next who knows how many years trying to sort out a beat up wrx that still won't be worth anything is much better than having a reliable car you can still have fun in that won't be worth much either. Personally if I were so worried about cost per hp gain I would just start with a v8 platform.

· Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,095 Posts
A tuner I know has the engine, 6mt trans + full wiring harness, gauge cluster, electronic boxes under the for the JDM Spec B 30r legacy, I'm hoping someday he figures out the canbus so we can convert USDM 4th gen legacy H6 cars to manual.

Since I can't wait that long, I converted a pre-canbus ez30d to manual, I can say it's still pretty good. 210hp and fits in normal 4cyl engine bay Subarus.

· Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,967 Posts
You know no one really said this option yet. You can get a EJ25 shortblock and the cams reground. A tactrix cable and an Etune because honestly it is NA so not as problematic a the turbo stuff it is off.

Probably have $2500 in parts and tune. In the process you resealed the engine and should be good for another 100K.

I would think that combo would get you atleast 200CHP and depending on the cam close to 220CHP. I kinda wish I had EJ204 heads because I am going to port the heads in my brother 07 impreza and get the cams ground. That would really bump the CR up. Though you would need a cam for that so you could still run pump gas and all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts