Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm planning on swapping my MT 99rs soon. Right now i'm getting the suspension ready. After that its off to the scrap yard for my EJ251. Now I have read thread after thread about the tranny being perfectly fine with a EJ205 or 7 but what about the 2.5 from the 06 07? I know it throws out a little more pull down low and will that compromise reliabilty? Making it somewhat more like an STI swap? And also is this even a good idea or would it be better to find a 05 Rex motor with low miles and just keep the displacement down. Also if I do go 2.0 will what upgrades will keep me OBD II compliant?
Also anything else in here that you already swaped subie owners would have replaced at install?

·
Registered
93 IMPREZA L
430 Posts
I have a 06 wrx swap and im loving it low end torque is bliss man. Its stock so once i get a tbe, turbo upgrade and a tune ill be mashing on sti's =D

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
You'll have to be careful, I think, but it's not a suicide mission or anything. :D There's several people running EJ255s or EJ257s with the OEM tranny. Yeah everyone wants a 6MT, but it's a lot of extra cost, especially wired for DCCD...

If you don't beat the hell out of your clutch/tranny when you shift, I think it should be okay.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Should be fine if you treat the tranny nice. I'd just go ahead and run the RS tranny for now. If you break it, you can find really cheap replacement RS tranny's or you could upgrade to something better.

·
Registered
2003 rs2.5 BRP
831 Posts
what you should replace while the engine is on the stand waiting to be put into the car?

everything you think you would want to change in the future.. nothing is worth doing unless it's done right. it's way easier to switch out components when you are on a engine stand rather than bending down around the engine. but a basic list would be like... Head gaskets, timing belt, water pump, and t-stat. go over your engine with a fine tooth comb, don't let a damn thing slide. If it looks like there is anything wrong.. fix it.. don't assume it worked with the previous owner, because obviously it's not in the previous car because something bad happened.. no one takes engines out of cars because they like having nifty lawn ornaments.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
Im in the same boat as Sphen22, doing the exact same swap and was wondering the same thing. What it needed for an 06 swap? I have motor and harness's, need a crossmember and ful pump, what else?

·
Registered
2003 rs2.5 BRP
831 Posts
i think... 05+ swaps need to have the steering column and immobilizer and key from column... otherwise you'll be in rough waters.

i can't be certain of course, i'm sure a guru can confirm that. i've been reading about it i'm going to start my swap in a few months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts