Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05-5 speed mt wagon..so ej25(3?) NA.

Sorry if this has been beat t death.
This recently acquired beast has more issues than I realized and trying to get options and ideas.

Objective: reliable, reasonable cost

Headgasket seeping (no mixing of water/oil),
Front Viscous coupler,
Front wheel bearings (these are pressed and not bolt it),
Rear strut leak and other smaller maintenance items.

This would be a DIY.

Besides an exact same engine or rebuildng, what other engine would work?
I'm in emissions state but that may change by the time the repairs make it roadworks.
Options:
Rebuild current ej25 and just fix everything.
Swap USDM EJ25 + trans.
JDM EJ203 + adding EGR?

I believe if doner comes from different chassis, I'll also need the doner ECU.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A lot depends on your budget & capability to do work.

If you have spare vehicles for daily reliable transportation, you have the budget, space, and time to do a swap then by all means.
I'd get a rear ended wrx and go from there. I would not do a jdm swap, but thats just me.

If your car is still driveable then I'd buy a spare engine (exact same one would be ideal) and refresh that so you can swap that in later.
This is exactly what I did as my rs is my daily driver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot depends on your budget & capability to do work.

If you have spare vehicles for daily reliable transportation, you have the budget, space, and time to do a swap then by all means.
I'd get a rear ended wrx and go from there. I would not do a jdm swap, but thats just me.

If your car is still driveable then I'd buy a spare engine (exact same one would be ideal) and refresh that so you can swap that in later.
This is exactly what I did as my rs is my daily driver.
Got other cars but either way the RS isn't being driven much. Looking for cost effect since wanting to take this to Midwest from CA. Refresh is easiest, i've got the time and driveway space and not much garage space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts