Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I had a better reason to post for the first time here but here we go. I bought an 05 impreza 2.5rs earlier this year for a little under 2k. I had owned one many moons ago and parted ways with it but always wanted another and lucked out finding one in pretty good shape not far from home. My hopes were to get it in shape for scca rallyx that's happening in the town I live in here in just a few days. It's been a life long dream to rally and everything was finally falling into place for just a taste. Headgaskets, timing kit, sway bars, all new suspension, tires, brakes, the list goes on. I tried to research every part and not blow money on things I didn't need. After alot of late nights and bloody knuckles I had everything ready. I drove out to the sticks where I used to live where there are miles and miles of gravel roads to test the setup and the car felt amazing. I was worried that I wouldn't have enough power from the N/A platform having only done a custom header/exhaust and intake but after a few test sessions I was more than happy with the performance. I was pumped to say the least. Well now comes the bad part. My phone rings at 1am and it's my brother calling with his own fiasco in need of some help. His place is about 45 mins away and all 4 lane highway until the last 3 miles which are paved 2 lane. Made it there fine and figured his situation out (his wife broke a waterline under their sink) and loaded up to go home. I turned out of his driveway and made it roughly 3/4mile and in the middle of a long bend with thick trees and high grass right next to the road a brown flash appeared and disappeared in a fraction of a second. In that fraction though the deers hind quarters made contact with the front of my car. I was only going 45mph but that's plenty fast enough apparently. Bumper, headlights, fender, radiator, power steering reservoir, and that's just what I have been able to see and stomach so far. Insurance company totalled it but I'm rebuilding. The rallyx is out of the question being a few weeks away which blows but such is life. So now I'm left with decisions. I plan on trying to rallyx in the future if possible and will probably drive the car fairly regularly as well. That all being said, I need ideas, some inspiration. Anyone have any experience with N/A builds for rallyx that could point me in the direction for parts choices and where to get them? I had planned on staying in the prepared category for rallyx. Anyway, thanks in advance. Didn't plan on writing a book here but it fell out.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs with 04 ej205, setup for staged rally racing
15 Posts
Dang that sucks. I hit a deer last year in my 911 going about 90mph, the deer pretty much exploded on impact.

Im building my 2.5rs with ej205 for staged rally but might run a few rallyx for fun too. Definitely rebuild it if you gave the time, nice that you got to keep the car after total! Dont loose hope if you love the car, anything can be fixed!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
90mph impact with a deer sounds like a mess for sure.. How did the car fair? I got mine home finally and the damage is worse than I thought. I'm getting ready to start pulling it all apart here in a few hours. I put a new radiator and hoses on and fired it up. Starts and runs just fine and seems to still be tracking straight. The engine is at 170xxx miles so I'm contemplating a rebuild. I was reading that the heads need to be put on a jig and torqued down when the machining is done because of how much the engine flexes but I think that was for higher hp and rpm applications ? If it is needed for the work on a basic stock rebuild I'd imagine that's going to dig deep in the pocket. Maybe just upgrade now to a turbo platform. I just wonder what the most bang for my buck and also longevity is.

·
Registered
99 2.5rs with 04 ej205, setup for staged rally racing
15 Posts
90mph impact with a deer sounds like a mess for sure.. How did the car fair? I got mine home finally and the damage is worse than I thought. I'm getting ready to start pulling it all apart here in a few hours. I put a new radiator and hoses on and fired it up. Starts and runs just fine and seems to still be tracking straight. The engine is at 170xxx miles so I'm contemplating a rebuild. I was reading that the heads need to be put on a jig and torqued down when the machining is done because of how much the engine flexes but I think that was for higher hp and rpm applications ? If it is needed for the work on a basic stock rebuild I'd imagine that's going to dig deep in the pocket. Maybe just upgrade now to a turbo platform. I just wonder what the most bang for my buck and also longevity is.
The repair bill for my 911 was 65k, had to replace som subframe components and the whole front left side of the car. I am amazed the insurance company didnt total the car actually, but they paid for the entire repair except my $500 deductible, so not bad for me!

I have the ej205 engine in mine, which I like a lot, although I did not do the conversion myself so I cant give you much help there sadly. Nice that it is seemingly running okay though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts