Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember in the winter talks of a Rallitek reflash as well as the cobb reflash in development for 05 N/a rs'. Looking online now still havent seen anything of the two being released anytime soon. Is there any updates on either one?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd be somewhat interested to hear more about that as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Cobb did develope a AP for our 2.5RS as well as a few other cars. However, it was right before they went to V2 and I don't think an NA flash is released yet. However, I think there is a freeware flash available but I am not sure.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
hatchbuilder said:
Cobb did develope a AP for our 2.5RS as well as a few other cars. However, it was right before they went to V2 and I don't think an NA flash is released yet. However, I think there is a freeware flash available but I am not sure.
Nope, support was pulled on the open source stuff due to lack of R&D time to do it properly and a lot of bricked ECU's.

Everybody, including the Cobb and the open source guys, have put 05+ n/a support on indefinite hold. PP6 or standalone are the only options.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
FalconRS said:
Nope, support was pulled on the open source stuff due to lack of R&D time to do it properly and a lot of bricked ECU's.

Everybody, including the Cobb and the open source guys, have put 05+ n/a support on indefinite hold. PP6 or standalone are the only options.

Thr GReddy E-Manage Ultimate is also another option.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
homer09 said:
i hate the lack of love NA gets in the ecu tuning world.
Agreed. The Open source guys have already said that they're going to be putting some dedicated time on the 05+ n/a ecu's sometime this summer (translation: right around the time the 08 WRX's are coming out) unless something more pressing comes up (translation: out-clause for when we just get started on the na stuff and the 08 hits the market, so we can drop everything and be the first out there with a tuning solution for the new cars.)

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
but do all the tuning/programming geeks have turbos? isnt there one mighty geek with an NA that will put in the effort to tune his car?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
homer09 said:
but do all the tuning/programming geeks have turbos? isnt there one mighty geek with an NA that will put in the effort to tune his car?
I know how to tune, that's not the issue, it's the definition files that are used to read/write to the ECU that need developing, and that's the part I've got no experience with. With the old def's with preliminary support for n/a ECU's, the only part that actually worked reliably were CEL code disables, where you could disable different CEL codes (such as P0420 for example). And beyond that, you could read, and theoretically write to MAF tables, fuel and timing tables, and do a couple other basic things like change idle, but if you tried to write anything beyond the code disables you had about a 60% chance of bricking your ECU. Those aren't odds the average home-tuner will flirt with, given that for the price of replacing your ECU if you fuck it up you can have a really good standalone professionally installed.

It all comes down to sketchy and rushed definition files. The turbo ECU's have access to much more, like injector scaling and a pile of other features, and are pretty reliable (95% or better success rate, nearly flawless for 05 and down turbo cars), even the 07's, because they've got so much backing and so many experienced people helping develop them.

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
FalconRS said:
I know how to tune, that's not the issue, it's the definition files that are used to read/write to the ECU that need developing, and that's the part I've got no experience with. With the old def's with preliminary support for n/a ECU's, the only part that actually worked reliably were CEL code disables, where you could disable different CEL codes (such as P0420 for example). And beyond that, you could read, and theoretically write to MAF tables, fuel and timing tables, and do a couple other basic things like change idle, but if you tried to write anything beyond the code disables you had about a 60% chance of bricking your ECU. Those aren't odds the average home-tuner will flirt with, given that for the price of replacing your ECU if you fuck it up you can have a really good standalone professionally installed.

It all comes down to sketchy and rushed definition files. The turbo ECU's have access to much more, like injector scaling and a pile of other features, and are pretty reliable (95% or better success rate, nearly flawless for 05 and down turbo cars), even the 07's, because they've got so much backing and so many experienced people helping develop them.

by tuning/programming geeks, i meant code crunchers. guys who are able to make definition files and crack the memory addresses for all the different ecu functions. the dirty work that only needs to be done once for each type of ecu.

there seems to be no one really doing this for NA, but so many for turbo. doesnt one of these capable geeks have a frickin NA he wants to tune :(

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
The hilarious part is I have all the education and experience to do that kinda stuff....I just hate doing it which is why I haven't done any such work in years. Maybe I'll dust off my pocket protector one of these days and give it a go.

·
Registered
02 GD6
2,056 Posts
FalconRS said:
The hilarious part is I have all the education and experience to do that kinda stuff....I just hate doing it which is why I haven't done any such work in years. Maybe I'll dust off my pocket protector one of these days and give it a go.

and do it for JECS ecu too *dreaming*

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Bad subject...

I drove 4 1/2 hours to give RalliTEK a shot at re-flash/tuning and mapping my '05 NA. Couldn't pull the needed def files and that was six months ago. Sean did offer me a nice deal on the PP6 (which may remain the only game in town). 9 hours of driving and $100 bucks in gas for nada. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
homer09 said:
by tuning/programming geeks, i meant code crunchers. guys who are able to make definition files and crack the memory addresses for all the different ecu functions. the dirty work that only needs to be done once for each type of ecu.

there seems to be no one really doing this for NA, but so many for turbo. doesnt one of these capable geeks have a frickin NA he wants to tune :(
Nerds have money to buy turbo cars. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts