Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2004 WRX (automatic tranny) last week. It is my daily driver, but would still like to make it a little quicker. I am fairly new to subaru's and do not know where to start. I was thinking of maybe starting with an up-pipe kit, cold air intake and exhaust but am not sure? I also do not want my car to be overly loud. Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1995 S14 w/S14 SR
1,323 Posts
Up-pipe, downpipe to SPT catback, and a tune. You'll be catless, pretty quite, and you'll pick up some power.

·
Registered
93 version6 1.8L turbo 08 WRX
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
04 WRX
39 Posts
Accessport V2. this alone will free up power.
Add downpipe,catless uppipe, 2.5" catback since you want it somewhat quiet.Iv got a 3" stromung turbo back and its still mildly quiet untill wot.Dont bother with anysort of intake,not worth it at your power level unless you get a protune,or one of clarks email tunes.
That should be a good start,if you still want a little more on the stock turbo try one of Clark Turners maps for the AP,he does a great job.

·
Registered
1995 S14 w/S14 SR
1,323 Posts
If you have the money, skip the AP - it runs stupid rich and an open source tune/ecutek/protune from a reputable tuner will be 10x better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the help so far. I was wondering what up-pipe, down-pipe combo you guys would recommend??

·
Registered
04 WRX
39 Posts
the ERZ downpipe is pretty cheap-$150 and comes in 2.5" or 3" i believe,you could spend alot more for a cobb or perrin.There is a few options to look at such as bellmouth,divorced wg...Upipes also have a couple options flex joint or no,also the amount of bends in the pipe.Either way it would be wise to replace the catted stock uppipe as they have been know to brake apart at only stage 2 power and go straight into the turbo.Having a reputable tuner tune you car is always best,but an AP V2 with a well put together maps is a good choice ,although there are many ways to tune.

·
DWAFTW
03 Silver WRX Wagon
10,140 Posts
I am in the process of making my WRX stage 2. So far Ive got a catback and uppipe, and Ive only spent 170 bucks. I will probably go with the ERZ downpipe, and then I am definitely getting a protune. I dont see the point of buying an AP when you can get a better tune from a tuner for cheaper. Look on nasioc classifieds. Parts for going Stage 2 are abundant over there. No use in buying new when it comes to exhaust parts.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
Simple RomRaider/OpenECU reflash will save you LOTS and allow you to buy a turboback exhaust and get your $$'s worth. I'mma sell my Cobb AP2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts