Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Impreza 2.5rs 5MT Swapped
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while trying to deal with the speedometer issue i’ve had, I looked up into my dash and saw a keyless entry unit. I bought 2 fobs and followed the instructions to program them. My car will not honk after the 10+ key turns. I’m thinking it may have to do with my ignition because after the key is turned over it can be removed and inserted. Also a screwdriver can be used to turn the key between 1 and start, but can’t be used to go from “lock” to any position, only the key can turn it from lock if that makes any sense. I’ve made sure the module was plugged in, I’ve pressed the brake, done the process in a different order, waited longer, continued the programming without the honk, etc and I cannot figure out what is wrong. I’m also thinking the fact that my car is manual swapped may also be the issue because the key doesn’t lock maybe. Any guidance would be highly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,239 Posts
I'll bet it's because of the way your car was/wasn't wired up due to the manual swap. Me personally, I hate hacked up wiring. If I were you, I'd hold out till you find a wrecked manual trans 2004-2005 Impreza RS and swap the dash harness over. You'll also need the ABS pump and cruise computer from that manual car. Otherwise you're going to be chasing issues till the end of your ownership due to a crappy wiring job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll bet it's because of the way your car was/wasn't wired up due to the manual swap. Me personally, I hate hacked up wiring. If I were you, I'd hold out till you find a wrecked manual trans 2004-2005 Impreza RS and swap the dash harness over. You'll also need the ABS pump and cruise computer from that manual car. Otherwise you're going to be chasing issues till the end of your ownership due to a crappy wiring job.
I think the previous owners only wired up what needed to work such as the key lock system, and the manual ecu pin. Only person that’s fumbled with the harness wiring is myself. I would love to figure out how to use the automatic harness to get everything to work, but I think it’ll just be a long process. My problem is I can’t find a step by step for my year of car, so I’m just playing a guessing game of which wire goes where. I’m wondering if I unshort the neutral pins from the gear selector plug in it might let me program the car, I also heard something about a chime that needs to happen when you turn over the key which I would like to hear more specifics about. I can’t tell if any of the keyless entry stuff ran through the tcu, if it did then i’ll probably just give up lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m not sure if this matters any, but I hear for the programming process one of the first steps is sitting in the drivers seat, I’m wondering if there is a sensor there that tells the keyless entry unit and what not whether or not there’s someone sitting there. I peeked underneath the seat and I have what seems to be 2 connectors coming from my seat, and one coming from my floor that the plug is cut off. It’s two wires, one black, one white, which corresponds to the two on one of the seat plugs. Is it possible for me to either short the two wires or wire them into the seat to get that sensor possibly working?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE
I ended up taking the wires underneath my seat, and shorting them together which I believe told the system there was someone in the driver seat. If for some weird instance someone has the same issue here’s what you must do:

1) Make sure your two wires that you connect to your seat are stripped and ready to short.

2) Open and close the drivers door, then connect the two wires together.

3) Start the programming sequence, and you should be all good!

Was able to finally program 2 key fobs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts