Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Banned
1,035 Posts
Well I had a 00RS for about 4 years. I sold it in December to get a 03 WRX wagon. Even though I absolutely love my WRX, I really miss my RS. It was such a blast to drive. However, boost is addicting. Also, my RS had a few suspension mods and handled pretty well, but I would say with the same amount of mods that the WRX would handle better due to the better chassis. Interior in the WRX also is alot better than the RS, mainly because of the seats. I'm also actually getting better mileage in the WRX than I did in the RS. But really you cant go wrong with either. The RS has so much character and you dont see alot of them on the road. Plus, they are just a blast overall. But the WRX is obviously faster and has a better interior. Also, dont believe all the glass tranny hype. Alot of those problems came with alot of abuse. Treat the tranny right, and it will treat you right.

But a few questions: How old are you? If you are young(younger than 25) and you are paying your own insurance, you might want to check on that first, as owning one at a young age can cost you alot in insurance. Another thing is that if you did decide to go with a WRX, try to find a stock one(because chances will be lower that is has been abused), and if you are patient enough, find one that has all maintenance records. That goes along way.

· Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
5,237 Posts
^^^^ im just curious, how is the WRX chassis better then the RS's? +1 on insurance being expensive with the WRX. ALOT of used wrx's have been beaten on/modded. so i would be careful buying one. if you want instant gratification, get the WRX. but if you want a sexy looking car get a 2 door rs ;) . more aftermarket support with the WRX over the RS IMO.

some suspension mods can be using on both cars. like the RSB's are the same. the RS is lighter than the WRX too.

· Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
9,883 Posts
I'd suggest checking for the RS first since it's a lot rarer. WRXs are more common.

Most will say the RS is better looking and has more character. I've also heard it's more of a drivers car in the fact that you can "feel" more connected to the road. Kinda hard to explain.

You can't go wrong with either, but if you want my opinion, look for the RS first. If you can't find one, then open up to WRXs too.

· Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
9,883 Posts
^^^^ im just curious, how is the WRX chassis better then the RS's? +1 on insurance being expensive with the WRX. ALOT of used wrx's have been beaten on/modded. so i would be careful buying one. if you want instant gratification, get the WRX. but if you want a sexy looking car get a 2 door rs ;) . more aftermarket support with the WRX over the RS IMO.

some suspension mods can be using on both cars. like the RSB's are the same. the RS is lighter than the WRX too.
The WRX chassis is stiffer. Something like 80% or 180%... one of those two numbers.

· Banned
1,035 Posts
the chassis is better because it is stiffer and more rigid. But yeah, insurance can be expensive but if you are 25 or over and have a clean record, then it isnt bad at all. I am paying about 150 bucks every 3 months. But yeah the aftermarket supports favors the WRX heavily. Plus, if you want to mod, you can get lots more out of the WRX motor for equal or less than what you would put in the RS, power wise(and you still wouldnt get a whole lot of power out of the RS motor). I will be a protuned Stage 2(which is about stock STi power level) probably at the end of this month and will have spent probably no more than 650 bucks. If you buy new parts for the RS(or even used) such as catback, headers, grounding kit, intake, pullies, cams, you will spend no doubt a good bit more than 650 and not get anywhere near the same power increase.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm under 25 and have a terrible driving record thanks to some spirited snow driving in the '98 Legacy GT I had, and a non-at fault accident that went 50% after the girl who I hit's father got involved (he's a police officer).

I've driven an '02 WRX and of course my '98 Legacy. The WRX isn't in my price range - I was just looking for a comparison. From what I hear it will be closer to the driving experience my Legacy gave, but a bit better. I'll probably end up with a 4-door as they're easier to come by and I don't feel like waiting too long. Just gave up a beautiful RHD 180sx. :(

· Banned
1,035 Posts
I'm under 25 and have a terrible driving record thanks to some spirited snow driving in the '98 Legacy GT I had, and a non-at fault accident that went 50% after the girl who I hit's father got involved (he's a police officer).

yeah, that means that you will probably pay out the ass for insurance.

Oh well, find you a good RS, and enjoy it!

· Banned
1,035 Posts
why dont' you get a cheap L and then swap it? it will cost you just as much as 2.5rs also 2.5rs is better then wrx. off a dig its faster and eats more gas because close gear ratios and it handles better in stock form.
having owned both I can say the WRX is a superior car performance wise. The RS just looks better. Off a dig it is a bit faster, but not enough to where a WRX couldnt quickly overtake it. But also, I am confused on teh last part where you say it eats more gas and handles better in stock form? Are you saying the WRX eats more gas and handles worse, or vice versa? Regardless, like I said earlier, I get better mileage in my WRX. Also, the WRX in stock form handles better than the RS in stock form.

· Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
3,127 Posts
everything about the wrx is nicer but it probably doesnt handle as sharply. ive never driven in a gm/gc RS but for daily driving i would pick a GD (02+ impreza) over any older L. The RS and L are crusty compared to the gd IMO.

I love and have both (96 brighton and a 02 wrx), however I am looking forwards to driving my WRX as its more comfortable and not all crusty like most L's and RS's are.

the wrx isnt even that much heavier then an rs..if u really wanna save weight, get a 94 impreza sedan or a 96-97 brighton and strip it + add boost, but weight wise there isnt much of a diff.

and also..to the wrx's plus side..it has the safest chassis in the sub compact class for that year..they're REALLY safe cars, and can be made fast :)

· Banned
1,035 Posts
everything about the wrx is nicer but it probably doesnt handle as sharply. ive never driven in a gm/gc RS but for daily driving i would pick a GD (02+ impreza) over any older L. The RS and L are crusty compared to the gd IMO.
even though the WRX is a bit heavier, with a stiffer chassis, not to mention beefier front and rear sway bars, IT IS a better handling car.

· Registered
923 Posts
I also have a quick question, thats sort or relevant to this.. If i bought an Old L model, or 2.5rs, and swapped out the engine, would that affect insurance rates? does that count as a "mod" that i would have to declare???

· Banned
1,035 Posts
I also have a quick question, thats sort or relevant to this.. If i bought an Old L model, or 2.5rs, and swapped out the engine, would that affect insurance rates? does that count as a "mod" that i would have to declare???

no, do not tell them you did that. They will not be able to find out, so no, it will not affect your insurance.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.