Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just was wondering if my 2002 Impreza 2.5rs ecu is tuneable with open tactrix or any other way? I messaged a company who tunes NA Subaru’s and they said my specific year isn’t tuneable

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,079 Posts
Was the company you contacted Delicious tuning?

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
46 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I think flashable NA ECU's started in 05 to current. I looked into it for my 04, and came up unlucky. Do some looking into RomRaider and such, and report back for us!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
890 Posts
I believe RunsWithScissors is correct with 05. NASIOC may be the place to look for more info on that.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza
19 Posts
I have an 02 Impreza (NA ecu like yours). Check out project lambda tuning, it allows you to reflash your stock ecu. You can play with all the maps yourself or have Mike tune it for you. He did a great job with my swap and is a great guy, he’s really easy to work with.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,079 Posts
Post back what you figure out, pls. I'm sure there are a bunch of people not wanting to do a wiring harness swap in order to tune their cars.

Reactions: JoseV123

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I contacted
I have an 02 Impreza (NA ecu like yours). Check out project lambda tuning, it allows you to reflash your stock ecu. You can play with all the maps yourself or have Mike tune it for you. He did a great job with my swap and is a great guy, he’s really easy to work with.
I contacted lambda tuning and they told me that they have tuned many 02 Impreza rs2.5 ecu’s with their tuner. I’m currently going to save up to buy the Bluetooth tuner and the tuning license. I think the total including a custom map will be roughly 600-700 bucks. I’ll get back to you guys after I buy them and install the tune.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
What I wold like to know is is it the cable or the software that makes the ECU fro 02 2.5rs not tuneable unless you pay $500

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,079 Posts
What I wold like to know is is it the cable or the software that makes the ECU fro 02 2.5rs not tuneable unless you pay $500

It's gonna be the software. You can buy a Tactrix cable that interfaces with any 1996+ Subaru (or any 1996+ car for that matter), but without software it doesn't tune anything.

From my experience with having my car's tuned, $500 is on the high side for getting a "road tuned" and on the low side for a dyno session. I think you've discovered why tuning for N/A subarus didn't really go anywhere - most people can't stomach paying $400-$500+ for a 10-15hp gain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's gonna be the software. You can buy a Tactrix cable that interfaces with any 1996+ Subaru (or any 1996+ car for that matter), but without software it doesn't tune anything.

From my experience with having my car's tuned, $500 is on the high side for getting a "road tuned" and on the low side for a dyno session. I think you've discovered why tuning for N/A subarus didn't really go anywhere - most people can't stomach paying $400-$500+ for a 10-15hp gain.
I did a JDM swap with that EJ 208 out of a 2006 Subaru Impreza TwinTurbo from Japan I plan on adding turbos to the carEventually but between now and then I would like to be able to tune the EC you so I could put bigger fuel injectors in it and other such things.

so sounds like from your description project lambda and what they say they’ve figured out a way to be able to write to the ECU with their proprietary software so that’s why it cost $300 for the license and 100 and something for the actual port

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: tuner is coming Monday and I’m getting a e tune from project lambda I’ll let you guys know how it is.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,079 Posts
That's awesome! Looking forward to the next update

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: tuner is in the mail I’m going to play around with it today after work and getting the e tune after I send a few logs. I’ll keep you guys updated. So far spent 380 bucks for tuner and license.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: so I played around with it and it’s pretty cool. Tbh don’t know what I’m doing but it seems pretty doable. I’m waiting on Michael from lambda tuning to email me back with a e tune.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I have been working with the tuner for about a week and have gotten 4 e tunes sent, right away big difference in how the mpg and how the car felt was way better. And the pop tune I also asked for is really nice. Burbles and pops are great. I have about 6 more revisions on the tune before it’s finalized. Launch control is also pretty cool, for around 500 bucks it’s pretty fun.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,079 Posts
That's awesome! I know this thread will be useful for future owners of NA Imprezas as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's awesome! I know this thread will be useful for future owners of NA Imprezas as well.
Yeah man this was super easy way of flashing the ecu and Michael has been super helpful he can help you if you have any problems. I would recommend making sure your car is 100% with maintenance and such since I have to now fix a few things before I continue sending him logs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts