Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
01 converted RS.
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both cars are stock, what makes the wrx's steering more stable [rigid/ hard] steering wheel feel. while the 2.5rs feel kind of loose / bouncy sometime..

Rear sway bar difference, what else?

I have put in WRX RSB, front and rear upper brace bar. still, the steering is not as tight as the WRX.... I want it to be more tighter

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
are the camber settings the same as well?

wouldnt that have an effect on steering?

·
Registered
04jbp STi, 93L+01 RS, 08 zx10R
478 Posts
2.5rs>wrx>sti from the factory performance.

Of course its stock, it has different settings and parts though.

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
Get some whiteline steering rack bushings.
THIS.

Fender braces/cowl stay should help too.

Beyond that, the RS steering ratio just kinda blows. You need lots of turns of the steering wheel for any action up front. And the steering wheel itself is kinda big - I prefer something smaller in diameter.

I learned this the hard way when I first started auto-x and tried to go through the slalom with just a quick smooth left-right-left like all the other cars were doing and it just didn't work. It took more action to actually make the car turn enough to get through the slalom and that slowed me down.

STi quick rack is where it's at.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
464 Posts
Upgrading the rubber bits goes a long, long, LONG way. Steering rack bushings and suspension arm bushings (ALK). If you're worried about bumping up classes in auto-x, there is a Group N bushing as well that doesn't change the geometry. If you want instant, precise steering and actual feel of the tires, this is what you do.

Beyond that, you can stiffen up roll resistance, both statically and dynamically, aka stiffer suspension. This too will greatly improve handling.

Feel free to upgrade various bushings and mounts throughout the car. Stock, there's a whole heck of a lot of mush going on. This leads to almost complete isolation, lack of feel, delay in actions/reactions, and all around sloppiness. Frankly, it's a mess. It's nice for the casual driver, but any driving enthusiast should plop down about $1k on any new or used Subaru they buy and upgrade every single last mushy rubber bit on the thing. You essentially get a whole new car, one that you wanted to be in since the start.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
I have all stock bushings and what-nots.

But i have a WRX steering rack with STi steering column and mine feels really stiff.

I think its probably the pump. Its probably under driven in the WRX and STi

·
Registered
2002 Forester
464 Posts
Stiff as in physically hard to turn? Any odd binding?

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
If your talking to me, no odd binding...

Feels normal just stiff. As if i can feel the tires gripping the ground.

My friend who has an 04 WRX drove my car and asked me while my steering was so stiff. I havent personally compared it to a GD.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
464 Posts
Hmm, I've driven a similar WRX before, and I had no different perception of the steering.:confused:

It can't be something with the tires. I've got 245 RE01Rs on my lil' o' Forester, and steering remains plenty light and easy.

I don't know. It'd bug me. How long has it been like this?

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,936 Posts
All these will sharpen the steering feel:
Sparco Steering wheel (smaller diameter=less radius=quicker steering)
Grp N tophats will significantly improve the turn in response.
Whiteline steering rack bushings improve the feel to the ground and help make turns more intuitive
Camber plates will allow you to dial out understeer
Larger swaybar will keep the car flatter and help improve turn in response (Too large will increase understeer)
Pillowball endlinks sharpen the steering feel and improve turn in response
Lighter hood made a noticeable difference in turn in response!
STi steering rack wont work on a GC without some surgery. Quick racks are too much $$$ and beside after driving my car, even an 08 STI feels like im jibing-ho on a 60 ft cutter.

·
Registered
impreza base!
780 Posts
you can do the steering reducer. its like a few hundred dollars vs a grand for the short rack.

an 04 sti rack I think would work. you need to build a hybrid universal joint, the spline on the rack is different than the spline on ur steering column so you cut both in half weld it up together and you have your joint you need

1 - 19 of 19 Posts