Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching insurance costs and such I have started to consider the 2.5RS. What are the technical differences between the 2.5RS and the WRX (besides the turbo).

I plan on test driving soon but I would think that the 2.5RS should still be really fun. Its 0-60 time is not slow and it has better low end torque.

Also what differences would I notice in the two cars as far as handling and such?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kenny

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
well, the entire engine is different. 10:1 CR 2.5L N/A 4 banger vs 8:1 CR 2.0L turbocharged 4 banger. lets see, the WRX has the rear LSD. the WRX sedan also has the wider front track and fender flares to complement it. the RS does weigh a bit less though. suspension wise, as far as i know they are the same, though i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. all i ask is that you be gentle ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 2002/3 RS has the same front track, AFAIK, and does also have the fender flares. The only external difference is the hood scoop and the badging.

As for the suspension, the struts are the same, the WRX springs are slightly stiffer, and the WRX has a larger rear sway bar (20mm vs. 13mm). The swaybars are interchangeable, however. In general, all suspension bits for the WRX will fit the new age RS as well.

The interiors are very similar as well. The front seats are very similar, both bucket style and very nice. The WRX seats have a blueish pad and side airbags. The manual WRX has aluminum pedals, while the Auto WRX and all RS's have the standard rubber pedals. The WRX has a MOMO branded steering wheel, but the steering wheel for the RS is identical in design - sans the MOMO badge and some of the leather covering. The WRX also comes with map lights and an optional dimming mirror, where as the RS is not wired for these.

All that said, the 2002 RS is a great car!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
10th Warrior said:
suspension wise, as far as i know they are the same, though i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. all i ask is that you be gentle ;)
The WRX has slightly stiffer springs and bigger sway bars. I couldn’t tell a difference and you would probably change these in either case. The WRX also has 1” larger front rotors, same calipers, but different rotor and calliper brackets. Personally, I think the RS is a better car. The WRX is a major dog because it takes so long to spool up. It’s a lot faster but not nearly as quick if that makes ant sense to you at all.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
pdlindor said:
The 2002/3 RS has the same front track, AFAIK, and does also have the fender flares. The only external difference is the hood scoop and the badging.

As for the suspension, the struts are the same, the WRX springs are slightly stiffer, and the WRX has a larger rear sway bar (20mm vs. 13mm). The swaybars are interchangeable, however. In general, all suspension bits for the WRX will fit the new age RS as well.

The interiors are very similar as well. The front seats are very similar, both bucket style and very nice. The WRX seats have a blueish pad and side airbags. The manual WRX has aluminum pedals, while the Auto WRX and all RS's have the standard rubber pedals. The WRX has a MOMO branded steering wheel, but the steering wheel for the RS is identical in design - sans the MOMO badge and some of the leather covering. The WRX also comes with map lights and an optional dimming mirror, where as the RS is not wired for these.

All that said, the 2002 RS is a great car!
Crap I hate it when I type the same thing as some other guy, only slower, and I get beat to the punch. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the information. Can stopping distance be noticed with the larger rotors? I would think no at first but then brake fade may show up sooner...

Also what do you think the best price would be for a 2003 2.5RS. I am talking how much below invoice do you think is possible? The dealer I just talked to is starting their price at invoice.

Thanks,
Kenny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frakk,

Thanks for the info. With such a thourogh explanation I should just buy a pre 02 impreza tomorrow. :)

My personal preferrence as far as looks is definately a 02 or 03 model.

Kenny

·
Registered
1 Posts
To each his own on the new model looks, i try so hard to like it but it's just not happening. where are you located? e-mail me if your interested in my RS. new situaltions are making me sell it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts