Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

Registered
2001 RSTI & 1999 2.5RS
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
TWO days on the dyno did not go as planned...

Shop tried to tune hybrid with MAF and IAT but it stumbles, runs rich, and just about dies around 2500rpm. Volts fluctuate from 13.2-14. They were unable to diagnose the problems stating, "We don't have the correct tools" SMH! Had them remove their tune and it now runs fine.

Next tune scheduled for 1/11 at a new shop that hopefully knows a thing or two?!

Registered
This story is really wild, I guess they can only do the best they are capable of, but I hope they didn't charge you fo their failure.

I was also curious about your plans for your dash. Since you already have a GD dash swap (done by previous owner?) are the holes for the HVAC stuff in the OEM locations? I was under the impression one of the changes you have to make to fit a GD dash is moving those holes on the firewall (cutting/welding, etc). Do you have to move things to get that dash in there?

Registered
2001 RSTI & 1999 2.5RS
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
This story is really wild, I guess they can only do the best they are capable of, but I hope they didn't charge you fo their failure.

I was also curious about your plans for your dash. Since you already have a GD dash swap (done by previous owner?) are the holes for the HVAC stuff in the OEM locations? I was under the impression one of the changes you have to make to fit a GD dash is moving those holes on the firewall (cutting/welding, etc). Do you have to move things to get that dash in there?
Well, I sent it out to another shop 100 miles away on a flat bed. After talking with the tuner and other trusted names in the Subaru game, I am confident they will be able to handle it! Keep yah posted.

I REALLY WISH the dash was original GC and I recently purchased an entire GC dash in hopes to one day swap the swapped dash! I don鈥檛 see any major fab work. I believe it鈥檚 wiring, dash bar that requires welding in, and HVAC box modifications. I will know more when it all comes out.

Registered
Well, I sent it out to another shop 100 miles away on a flat bed. After talking with the tuner and other trusted names in the Subaru game, I am confident they will be able to handle it! Keep yah posted.

I REALLY WISH the dash was original GC and I recently purchased an entire GC dash in hopes to one day swap the swapped dash! I don鈥檛 see any major fab work. I believe it鈥檚 wiring, dash bar that requires welding in, and HVAC box modifications. I will know more when it all comes out.
Interesting, there must be more than one way to approach this, but when I was looking at the GD dash swap the easiest way to do it would be to cut/weld/etc to move the HVAC holes to line up with the GD HVAC system. I suppose it's possible your previous owner managed to use the GC HVAC parts to prevent that but I never saw that done during my research. I will be curious to follow your progress there. I was also lucky to find a nice clean 2.5RS dash setup. My car had the tan craptastic interior and the previous owner had tried to flock the dashboard but didn't do a very good job. It was kind of funny actually how you could follow the evidence to see what they did.... They didn't use a long extension and/or wobble fitting on the front dash bolts and busted the window with their wrench, then gave up and flocked it in the car. That crap was everywhere!

Registered
2001 RSTI & 1999 2.5RS
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
UPDATE

Sent the car on a flat bed 100 miles north to a very capable tuner (Yimisport) and they had ZERO issues tuning the car. I wish the car went to them originally. Lesson learned!

They were awesome to work with. The car arrived, they tuned it the next day, and helped arrange another flatbed ride back home. I was able to get everything done and never stepped foot in their shop. Being a busy father, husband, 9 to 5er, realtor, youtube pozer, this was huge.

Check out the video for all the details and a driving impression. LMK what you think!

61 - 76 of 76 Posts