Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

I'm doing engine swap, basically the same engines, with the exception that my blown engine is '99 and new one I got is from '01. I know it's easy if I use my old intake manifold and wiring harness, however... since '99 have a very weak MAF sensor, and '01 has some additional sensors on the intake, is there any way I can retain '01 intake manifold with '99 wiring harness? The new engine came without it for some unknown reason, well I got it from a local junk yard, but still... is that possible?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I noticed that there's additional sensor in front that's purple, is that the MAP right on the manifold you're talking about?

Perhaps I should try to find 2001 electrical harness, or can I get around it somehow?

And question still remains... can I retain my '99 wiring harness, maybe rig it somewhat?

Does the plug on MAF sensor that's located on the intake tube itself plug into 2001 sensor plug on intake manifold?

Sorry for my somewhat broken english and noobness :) Just trying to get things done right.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
well the 99 and 2000/01 intake manifolds are different in more than 1 way.
I believe the 99 already has a port for a MAP sensor since 99's are MAP&MAF, but the biggest difference is in the injectors. Top vs Side feed. You'd need different injectors to use the 2000/01 manifold, the manifold has an air assist port to help atomize the gas that the 99's don't also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the prompt replies man, i've just gotten in from garage to check on this, and that's exactly what I discovered when trying to screw around with the two manifolds. hehe... looks like i'm sticking with my old '99 manifold and harness for it...

·
Registered
1999 subaru impreza rs
3 Posts
Probably a super late reply lol but what else other than the manifold did you had to swap out to make it work?
My 99 has a bad engine and some dude is selling a fresh rebuilt engine from an 01 and I want to see if I can pick it up and make it work. It's ok if you can't remember haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts