Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not exactly an exciting swap, but my engine's really had it at this point. I'd love to swap a WRX motor, but I simply can't afford it, and I'm pretty sure my motor will completely eat itself before I can. So, I'd been looking at finding a 99 RS engine to drop in. I was pretty set on a 99 just to be sure that everything would match up perfectly. I didn't want to run into problems with wiring or any little stupid stuff, as this is my daily driver and I really can't afford the downtime (I'm going to try to have this done in a weekend). However, I might have found a 2001 engine that's really close, which means I could save a couple hundred dollars on transport. So my question is, what might not match up with this swap? I know the 2001 is MAP based, but can I simply bolt on my intake and MAF sensor? Would I need to swap the whole manifold? Any other differences, however tiny?

Thanks for any info, I really don't want to end up stuck tracking down little parts or wiring when I should be driving to work.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
I am not 100% sure on this but I believe you could just use the MY01 block and bolt on all your accessories without an issue.

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue is what needs swapping over? I know that if I strip it to the long-block it should work (pretty sure), but I don't have the time for it, and that just adds potential for things to go wrong. I'm really looking to do a simple swap: unplug everything, unbolt mounts and tranny, lift out engine, put in new engine, reconnect everything, drive away. At least that's the idea. :lol:

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
you have to swap the intakes. im doin this exact thing right now. its fairly simple. but it has to be done. so its just basicly a longblock swap.

·
Registered
1995 2.? L
143 Posts
You will want to use your 99 intake manifold and wiring on the newer block. You will need the 99 wiring as well so leave it attached to the manifold. You will also need the intake tube and MAF sensor from your 99 as well. You may want to pull the engine and then swap everything over on the garage floor while the engines are side by side to make access easy.

While the engine is out: Change your cam seals and front and rear main seal...they are cheap and this is the time to do it. You will also want new intake manifold gaskets. Your engine should already have an aluminum access plate in the rear (the old ones have plastic that leak) if not order the aluminum one and seal it. You should also do water pump, timing belt, etc...maybe even clutch if in need.

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know. The local engine fell through, but I'll keep all this in mind for my hunt.

·
Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so does this hold true for any SOHC EJ25? Like can I get one from an 07 or something else? I'm in a financial squeeze at the moment, but I'm thinking it might be a wise move to get something with relatively low miles (like <75k, and I'd do a 100k service before it went in). So, what will or won't work?

·
Registered
'98 2.5 RS
763 Posts
Rooster: did you ever get this done? im in the same boat... kinda. ive made peace with the fact that my DOHC is going to blow a head gasket. so im just going to swap the motor when it does go. what motors can i just swap and plug and play?

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
OK, so does this hold true for any SOHC EJ25? Like can I get one from an 07 or something else? I'm in a financial squeeze at the moment, but I'm thinking it might be a wise move to get something with relatively low miles (like <75k, and I'd do a 100k service before it went in). So, what will or won't work?
To answer his question yes sort of! I think in 07 they went to the AVCS or a variable lift cam design. Can't remember. But anyway the 99-06 is basically the same engine you will need your intake manifold and electronics but the long block is a straight swap.

One issue is on the 05-06 they used the WRX/STI style cam and crank wheels you will need to switch these if you have an older car. Your gears will bolt right on! This I know because i have a 1999/2001/2005 RS engines sitting in my garage right now.

·
Registered
1999 subaru impreza rs
3 Posts
you have to swap the intakes. im doin this exact thing right now. its fairly simple. but it has to be done. so its just basicly a longblock swap.
Super late reply but are the manifolds and harness the only things that need to be swap. Nothing engine related? Like the cam sprockets and stuff? My 99 engine gave out and found an 01 locally freshly rebuilt and I want to pick it up and use it but I'm not sure what all do I need to exchange. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,778 Posts
Super late reply but are the manifolds and harness the only things that need to be swap. Nothing engine related? Like the cam sprockets and stuff? My 99 engine gave out and found an 01 locally freshly rebuilt and I want to pick it up and use it but I'm not sure what all do I need to exchange. Thanks
I just want to commend you on your ability to search! Just swap long blocks, you'll be jesus. You can unbolt your intake manifold, move it to the side and pull the block. Reverse and done.

·
Registered
1999 subaru impreza rs
3 Posts
I just want to commend you on your ability to search! Just swap long blocks, you'll be jesus. You can unbolt your intake manifold, move it to the side and pull the block. Reverse and done.
I figured someone had already done this so I don't mind searching before asking lol, but thanks for the help and reply!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts