Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5rs
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after 7 months of being back in the states, I finally found myself a Subaru in December 2013. I bought it from a guy that I work with. It had a blown engine, big dent on the rear quarter, ruined front fender, it has sat for the last three years and was infested with spiders. Absolutely no rust though! I am installing all of the parts that I removed from my 99 STi Type R that I owned while in Okinawa Japan. My goal is to make a white LHD version 6 STi RA replica.

For the motor, I will be using my Version 6 EJ207 block/heads with USDM WRX intake manifold/TGVs, wiring, exhaust, etc so it will pass CA smog.

Here is the link to my old car: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t143574-99-sti-type-r.html

Engine
1999 version 6 STi Type R EJ207 block/heads with USDM WRX ECU, wiring, etc.
VF28
TGV delete
Samco silicone inlet
Invidia bellmouth catless downpipe
JDM catless uppipe
Trust cat back exhaust
walbro 255 lph fuel pump
Dark blue WRX 565cc injectors
Version 7 STi TMIC

Drivetrain
Version 6 STi type R DCCD 5MT 4.44
Exedy OEM replacement clutch
Exedy lightweight flywheel
R180 Cusco 2 way LSD
Version 7 R180 STi rear hubs
STi Brembos
Goodridge SS clutch line
Goodridge SS brake lines
STi Group N engine/trans mount

Suspension
Cusco Coilovers
Whiteline front and rear 22mm adjustable sway bars
STi aluminum control arms
Whiteline center roll kit
whiteline steering rack bushings
whiteline inner control arm bushings
whiteline lateral link bushings
Energy susp. trailing arm bushings
Whiteline outrigger bushings
Kartboy subframe bolts
STi front and rear strut bars
Prova rear endlinks

Wheels/Tires
Volk Rays TE37 17x8 +38
Hankook Ventus RS3 215/45/17

Current pic:

Here are some older pics:

Removed the roof, and getting everything ready to install my L roof skin, I will also be installing a roof vent

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5rs
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha thanks, next step is to grind down the old welds from the roof, cut the hole for the roof vent, install the roof with 3M panel bond, paint the roof troughs, areas around the windshield, door jambs, and engine bay. Then get the harnesses merged by Iwire, and then I can start putting all the good stuff on!

@George, yea I do miss it sometimes, but I do like being home as well.

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Definitely looking forward to seeing the build. Jealous of the parts you already have. Only downside, the spriders..

:noes: nope...nope..nope.nopenopenopenope

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5rs
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roof vent hole cut in the new roof. Next I will panel bond it on, and then paint the edges under the front and rear window, door jambs, trunk, and engine bay white.

I also spent some time trying to get the frame straight where the right headlight was pushed in. I got it pretty straight, so I will just have to live with it, it is a lot better than it was.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
778 Posts
Dana's 2001 2.5rs

Is that a ****ing black widdow??

**** that. **** spiders. Nice SRP car though.
:lol:
Is it staying SRP?

Hopefully there isn't anymore of those guys on the car! Good luck with the build.

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5rs
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
haha, I am terrified of spiders, so the scariest was sliding under it on jackstands with a shop vac sucking them up. Two of my least favorite things: spiders/ small areas, thankfully they were all dead after I bug bombed it. It will be painted aspen white. I really want to build a LHD version of an STi RA, with a few extra things. I really like Exige's car on NASIOC. His doesnt look like this anymore but I love they way it looks here, it is my inspiration.

·
Registered
01 RS
25 Posts
that was a black widow your lucky that s***** didn't find his way towards you. Props on the car though man looks like your taking the right path. Did you purchase that L roof brand new from Subaru? I ask because I am debating doing something with mine.

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5rs
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember reading his thread. You'll get here soon, nice work done already.
Thanks Dan, Im trying to tell myself not to fix every little detail since the car would never get done! haha I dont want to restore it to the point that I am afraid to get dirt, on it which is what I have been doing.

that was a black widow your lucky that s***** didn't find his way towards you. Props on the car though man looks like your taking the right path. Did you purchase that L roof brand new from Subaru? I ask because I am debating doing something with mine.
Yeah haha one of the first things I did was buy a car cover and put bug bombs under and inside it to get rid of them all. That one in the pic was dead already. Yup I did order it new from the dealer, but they said that it was the last one in the country, but it doesnt hurt to check.

Awesome progress so far.
Good luck on your project.
Thank you

Well I got the roof on! I used 3M 08115 panel bonding adhesive and it is really strong! Ive been doing alot of prepping on the door jambs, trunk, and engine bay, so I can paint those.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
Very cool! This is exactly the type of project I want to do once I get out of the military and get my own house.

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5rs
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bashed in rocker panel is almost done! Had a friend of mine come over and tack weld it in for me. Once I am happy with the smoothness of it, then it is time for primer and paint! for the door jambs, engine bay and trunk that is.

Section from the junkyard car

Cut out the damage

Started preparing the car side of the repair for welding

Sprayed with weld-thru primer

Repair doublers plug welded in place

Patch tack welded in, my friend had to jump around to prevent heating it up too much

Ground down welds

Smoothing out the welded areas with plastic filler, faaaar wahhhhhl!

·
Premium Member
2001 2.5rs
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I am so close to painting! just waiting on warmer/less windy weather. I also installed the trunk torsion bars from my type R since I will be using the Version 6 wing.

I like the way my truck looks here haha

1 - 20 of 240 Posts