Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2001 impreza 2.5rs coupe had this weird "feature" where it will shift itself into neutral if my rpms get to low in 5th gear. This is a manual gearbox so I am confused about if this is a feature or an issue. It doesn't cause any problems im just curious.

·
Registered
95, Base 1.8L
25 Posts
...If trolling, good trollololing....If not, no thats not a "feature" no trans should pop out of a gear or into a gear on its own...a friend of mine way back had sorta the same thing happen in his lagacy 6 speed, itd pop out of sixth and into neautral on decel...the trans kinda died not too long after it started doing that, but he drove it...you could say aggressively...my guess is 5th gear isnt being engaed fully for some reason...Id start at the shift linkage joints (u-joint type things) at the shfter itself and on the inpit shaft going into the trans...the bushings in them are common to get worn out/go bad, especially if the shifter has tons on play while in gear I'd look to those first, if its tight then its probably something internal like syncros or shift forks...

·
Registered
169 Posts
In my experience with subaru 5spd trans is that this starts to happen when the gearbox is starting to fail. Ive been told it is due to the syncros in 5th that wear down over time. Im sure you could replace just the synchro but if you’re opening up the transmission it would be more cost effective to rebuild the whole thing. I was usually able to get at least 10k miles out of each transmission during ‘normal driving’. One gearbox I wanted to see the manner in which they fail so I beat on it until all the gears failed one by one and was left with 1st and 4th.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
101 Posts
I had the exact same issue about 6 years ago. The trans would slip out of 5th gear into neutral on the highway. The morning following a long trip, I found my car stuck in neutral, unable to shift into any gear. I'd say your transmission is on the way out. You might want to start shopping for a replacement!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts